Like Tree20Likes

How to get tests for deficiencies?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Magnesium is probably one of the cheaper pills to take, esp for the benefits.

This one has the ingredients mentioned above, by Clare.

Now Foods, Cal-Mag DK, 180 Capsules - iHerb.com

Less than HKD 1 per pill.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Magnesium is probably one of the cheaper pills to take, esp for the benefits.

This one has the ingredients mentioned above, by Clare.

Now Foods, Cal-Mag DK, 180 Capsules - iHerb.com

Less than HKD 1 per pill.

"Magnesium oxide" is why it's cheap. (Sorry shri. )

I take that specific product back!

I usually get the chellate thingy -- works out at less than $1 a pill.

Claire ex-ax likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by fifine:
    Guys I'm so thankful for all these helpful and knowledgeable replies..!

I will try to arrange something with the private GPs and clinics suggested... I don't have $$$$$ wtbhotia myself! But I am very lucky to have an excellent health insurance through my husband's work.. (2 years left until they downgrade us so I better make the most of it!!)

I'm not sure if they will cover something like this - ie not a specific condition but a general poor health - but I will ask..

Claire ex-ax I agree about magnesium - I think everyone should be taking magnesium supplements! Its just difficult to know if you are taking too much or too little of any supplements.. they are expensive and I'm sure most of it's unnecessary and just goes down the drain!
    Well if literally goes down the drain, i.e. diarrhoea, when you're taking too much.

Regarding the tests, could you get them in your home country cheaper/easier?

I will try to arrange something with the private GPs and clinics suggested... I don't have $$$$$ wtbhotia myself! But I am very lucky to have an excellent health insurance through my husband's work.. (2 years left until they downgrade us so I better make the most of it!!)
    Even better, milk it while you can . Best thing is to go see a GP tell him/her your problems and ask them to write you a REFERRAL LETTER. Insurance companies must recd referral letters for diagnostic imaging and lab tests so that you can claim it back (depends on insurance company on how much % of it you can claim back), get Hubby to check it at work.
    fifine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    Have you visited Central Health on Duddell St (one of the often recommended GP surgeries on here)?? They will do blood tests etc if they think you need them / if you want them (and are willing to pay of course). GPs there are all excellent but it will obviously cost you more than going to Quality Healthcare or similar. GP consult at Central Health is in the range of $700 but I can't remember how much they charge for blood tests.
    Last year my wife saw Sarah Borwein at Central Health for a company sponsored health check.

The consult is $850 a time and the whole battery of blood tests came to a little over $10,000.

The good news is that the second consult, to tell her that there was absolutely nothing wrong with her, was free.
    fifine likes this.

If the sugestions already posted do not fit the bill, then maybe a trip here

https://www.bnhhospital.com/en/
    or more expensive
    https://www.bumrungrad.com/
    I have used the BNH before and been very happy with the standards there.

lingc and fifine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    Last year my wife saw Sarah Borwein at Central Health for a company sponsored health check.

The consult is $850 a time and the whole battery of blood tests came to a little over $10,000.

The good news is that the second consult, to tell her that there was absolutely nothing wrong with her, was free.
    Sarah Borwein is one of the best GPs I've come across.

I assume you would prefer something to have been wrong with your wife then?

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Even better, milk it while you can . Best thing is to go see a GP tell him/her your problems and ask them to write you a REFERRAL LETTER. Insurance companies must recd referral letters for diagnostic imaging and lab tests so that you can claim it back (depends on insurance company on how much % of it you can claim back), get Hubby to check it at work.
    awesome thanks!

Do you mean a local GP or can I go straight to one of the private GPs suggested above?

PS has anyone tried Polar Mins? Someone told me their magnesium levels only went normal after this supplement.

Otherwise I meant any supplement, not just Magnesium! I fall into the trap of just self-diagnosing and buying everything on the healthstore shelf because I cant get any help from docs :O

Do you mean a local GP or can I go straight to one of the private GPs suggested above?
    Any registered GP.