View Poll Results: How often do you binge drink (5 or more in a session)

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never (not now anyway)

8 30.77%
  • About once a year

7 26.92%
  • About once a month

7 26.92%
  • Once a week or more

4 15.38%
Like Tree29Likes

Binge drinking on the rise, now affects 3 in 10 drinkers

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    When I was a 20 yr old uni student, a leaflet came through the door about alcoholism. It had a list of 10 signs that you might be alcoholic. I remember one was "Do you play drinking games" and another "Are you proud of how much you can drink"...

Turned out that pretty much all uni students in England met at least 8/10 of these.

Well, we had a good laugh at that, and then went to the pub

Since coming to HK I have realised how much of a drinking culture the UK has just by watching young people here (locals) going out and having fun without drinking.

I still remember my shock at things like a) sober karaoke b) going for dessert at 1am and c) looking for a local pub and realising there were none for miles. Then also noticing that in HK drinking is sometimes met (especially by educated young people) with the same disgust that smoking might be by some in the UK - as nothing more than an unhealthy, unpleasant habit.
    Strange that anyone would associate drinking as the same as smoking (unhealthy, unpleasant habit). Many studies have shown having a glass of wine or two a day can show health benefits...

Now, going for dessert at 1:00 a.m., probably not the best habit to get into

to each their own
    bookblogger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Enderman:
    It's easier to be teetotal in Hong Kong than anywhere else I've lived...
    Sure, more condescending nerds here. Feel more at home among your own

*joking*
    Enderman likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Yes...that's fair. Although I did go 'out' in Wanchai a few weeks, for the first time. My club had a social even at a pub, The Queen Vic? Anyway, I had a great time and was on the soft drinks as usual. You get four kinds of people:

1.) Pity: "Oh sorry, you don't drink do you?"
    2.) Can't believe it: "You're driving, I know, I know....leave the car at home next time!" (for the 100th time...)
    3.) Well meaning: "Well listen mate, it's alright with me if you don't drink...that's YOUR business...don't let anyone tell ya different!!"...
    4.) Peer pressure: "Ah go on...! One beer won't hurt ya!"...

When I go out with my Chinese buddies there's nothing like that...and some of them do drink!!
    Last edited by Enderman; 06-07-2015 at 09:29 PM.

Binge drinking on the rise, now affects 3 in 10 drinkers

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    Strange that anyone would associate drinking as the same as smoking (unhealthy, unpleasant habit). Many studies have shown having a glass of wine or two a day can show health benefits...

Now, going for dessert at 1:00 a.m., probably not the best habit to get into

to each their own
    In your dreams!

Just like a few decades ago doctors recommended filter cigarettes, next on was light cigarettes.

Show me the pseudo studies,
    probably 99.99% have an insufficient sample size and therefore are useless.

btw, if you want an example of how so called " studies" lead to to disaster read Dreamland by Sam Quinones

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:

Since coming to HK I have realised how much of a drinking culture the UK has just by watching young people here (locals) going out and having fun without drinking.
    Each to their own, of course, but their fun seems to rely on an addiction to either cigarettes or phones, often both simultaneously, and there's not much conversation going on. Not my kind of fun. I'd rather go out with friends and maintain eye contact, and exchange witticisms over wine, or banter over beer ... not silence over smartphones.

Yes...that's fair. Although I did go 'out' in Wanchai a few weeks, for the first time. My club had a social even at a pub, The Queen Vic? Anyway, I had a great time and was on the soft drinks as usual. You get four kinds of people:

2.) Can't believe it: "You're driving, I know, I know....leave the car at home next time!" (for the 100th time...)
    3.) Well meaning: "Well listen mate, it's alright with me if you don't drink...that's YOUR business...don't let anyone tell ya different!!"...

When I go out with my Chinese buddies there's nothing like that...and some of them do drink!!
    honestly, it sounds like you are insecure & overly concerned with how people perceive you. Or you are hanging out with an emotionally immature crowd. I go to pubs & don't drink quite often, I order a club soda & don't give a &@$ what people think or say.

Also, I can't believe drunk driving even comes into the conversation here. With all the public transport and cheap taxis, if you drive to the pub, then clearly you don't want to drink.

Also, what Club are you talking about that schedules an event at the Queen Victoria in Wan Chai? I'm not sure whether to make fun of that club, or try to join up....but that is a strange choice of venue for a social club function.
    Last edited by Open Casket; 07-07-2015 at 08:01 AM.
    East_coast likes this.

Also, what Club are you talking about that schedules an event at the Queen Victoria in Wan Chai? I'm not sure whether to make fun of that club, or try to join up....but that is a strange choice of venue for a social club function.
    Eh? After work drinks on a Friday night? All it was, instead of going out with colleagues, people from the club can meet up...not a function.

Eh? After work drinks on a Friday night? All it was, instead of going out with colleagues, people from the club can meet up...not a function.
    I understand the point of meeting up, but what kind of club chooses Queen Vic? Queen Vic is where old, overweight expats go to hit on asian women half their age. Just seems like a strange meetup place for a club activity.

I understand the point of meeting up, but what kind of club chooses Queen Vic? Queen Vic is where old, overweight expats go to hit on asian women half their age. Just seems like a strange meetup place for a club activity.

To be clear, it wasn't a 'club activity'...it was a WhassApp message to people in our club that a few members were having after work drinks their, all would be welcome to join...sheesh! As it went, lots of guys went and many of them had never been there before either...and I agree, it looked like a generic pick-up bar but my understanding is that is what Wanchai is.