Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mrgoodkat

Just learned Brita filters don't remove lead. What are the options?

Closed Thread

Just learned Brita filters don't remove lead. What are the options?

I was replacing a filter and noticed it listed several contaminants that are removed, but not lead--a glaring omission. A few internet searches revealed that filter cartridges can't remove particulate lead (though they may do better with dissolved lead). A reverse osmosis filter can do it, I'd rather only do that it if I install it myself. I want to get my money's worth despite moving every year, and I wouldn't mind learning a little plumbing.

Mavea claims they can filter lead but are not certified to filter lead--that sounds suspiciously like "we filter dissolved lead, but the certification requires us to also filter particulate lead, which we don't."

An old NYT article says that Zero Water can filter lead. The filters are kinda expensive, and too many of the reviews on Amazon say they only last a few weeks.
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...-brita-pitcher

The NSF site lets you search for certified purifiers, but the search is a beast.
    http://info.nsf.org/Certified/DWTU/

What do you use? What works?

Last edited by matchstick man; 02-12-2015 at 02:23 PM.

There is an article by Health Ranger:
    http://www.naturalnews.com/046536_wa...b_results.html

Since that article is just clickbait, I'll save others the effort--the actual content is here:

That said, NaturalNews isn't exactly the most trustworthy web site (notorious for pseudoscience). The test described here is interesting but not highly scientific. Serious testers use standard tests like NSF Standard 53, or a laboratory comparison of filtered tap water to unfiltered. These testers engineered their own contaminated water sample, which is more "just for fun" than serious science.

Last edited by matchstick man; 02-12-2015 at 02:55 PM.

We use an undersink Doulton filter, and put a countertop model in the in-laws place. Going by the gunk I scrub off the candle every half year, it seems to do a good job in cleaning up the water. Most of the big department stores carry the replacement filters, Wingon, Aeon etc

Lead Reduction Ultracarb Ceramic Candle

I just read that under-sink models require a fitting in the countertop. Plus it's illegal to install them yourself, since they can contaminate the main water supply.

It seems like faucet mounted filters can have good filtration. I've been look looking at the Philips models. I looked at PUR, but people say they leak or fall apart. Any other good ones?

Update:
    None of the faucet mounted filters remove particulate heavy metals. Most don't even remove soluble lead. In particular, the Phillips ones are useless. I'm posting this here since I couldn't find it in Google: the most popular Phillips filter, WP3811, is almost useless. It doesn't filter lead. Panasonic? Some models filter lead, none filter lead particulate. Instapure? Totally useless.

I bought a Doulton countertop model. It was $738 on sale at wing-on. It seems like a good deal, since the price per year is comparable to Brita. (And it's a lot cheaper than Brita if you buy locally.) It's white plastic, but I wouldn't pay hundreds more to get the same filter in stainless steel. (Be wary of getting the model that isn't certified for lead, which I almost bought.)

Last edited by matchstick man; 02-12-2015 at 08:06 PM.

We are using a Berkey gravity filter. They claim to filter pretty much everything, though I have no idea how those claims stack up.

Gravity fed filters must have nice big holes for the water to flow through.

To get out the tiny bits like Lead you need smaller holes which means you need pressure to squeeze the water through.

They claim .02 micron
    It flows really slow, only a few gallons per hour.

The test results show it to be effective, never tested it myself though.

matchstick man likes this.