Like Tree33Likes

Air Purifier

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    Rarely enough that I don't pay attention to filter changes.

I'm running several models all with varying filter sizes with 'estimated' lifetimes of anything from 3 months to 5 years. I ignore these suggestions and rely on actual room measurements.

I run 3M Filtrete prefilters to extend filter life, and change those every 3 months or so when they turn into mats of dust.
    Pardon my ignorance, but how do you do that with the 3M Filtrete? And where do you buy 3M Filtrete from in HK?

The air is utterly filthy today. My asthma is back and I can't believe how nonchalant people here are about the air quality.

Quote Originally Posted by MerMer
    Pardon my ignorance, but how do you do that with the 3M Filtrete? And where do you buy 3M Filtrete from in HK?

The air is utterly filthy today. My asthma is back and I can't believe how nonchalant people here are about the air quality.
    You just put a sheet of it over the the HEPA filter or the prefilter in a purifier.

It does nothing to reduce particulate matter, it just works as a coarse dust filter. But this extends the life of the other filter(s).
    MerMer likes this.

You just put a sheet of it over the the HEPA filter or the prefilter in a purifier.

It does nothing to reduce particulate matter, it just works as a coarse dust filter. But this extends the life of the other filter(s).
    Thanks for your reply.
    So the 3M Filtrete layer doesn't affect the power of the HEPA filter?

God I miss living somewhere with clean air, where I don't need air purifiers and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by MerMer
    Thanks for your reply.
    So the 3M Filtrete layer doesn't affect the power of the HEPA filter?
    Not noticeably, until it clogs up with dust. And then you replace it.
    MerMer likes this.

Not noticeably, until it clogs up with dust. And then you replace it.
    Hi JGL, I was wondering if you know anything about a brand called Samoair, as you seem to be very knowledgeable when it comes to air purification.

My Mi air purifier 2 was constantly stuck on max in auto mode, and the pm2.5 reading was always 600. So I inspected the sensor and it seems like the little infrared light diode is dead. Whiile I was looking for the replacement part, I saw a laser sensor that claims to be better than the original Mi infrared sensor and it slots right into the Mi air purifier 2.

The thing is, I googled that company and there was an article from 2014 that claimed a product they put out was a scam, because the chip in one of their pm2.5 sensors was using a Sharp chip that wasn't capable of measuring particles as tiny as pm2.5. See below:

Measuring PM2.5 for 200rmb: the SamoAir Review - Chengdu Living

I tried digging for more info on their G7 sensor but I can't seem to find any information regarding which chip it uses, so right now I'm stuck because it's pretty much the only ready made option available.

This is what I'm interested in buying:
    https://www.yoycart.com/Product/549613853520/

If you have any insight, please do let me know, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, mate.

The data sheet for that thing is contains no sensitivity specs and it's described as a "dust sensor for air conditioners" which doesn't inspire confidence If it's just to get the thing working again, who cares how accurate it is? It's not like the original sensor is a high precision piece of equipment.

So, is the problem that that the Mi is stuck on max all the time and is unusably loud because the sensor is busted? If that's the case, then why don't you go into the Mi Home app and force it to the Favourite setting, and manually set that (long press the Favourite icon) to a more bearable speed?

I manually set the speed of these things anyway, never use Auto. That's the sole function that makes this purifier anything other than a minimalist looking house decoration. In fact, I am surprised to even hear that Auto boosts the fan speed, it's never done that under normal operation for me.

jrkob and MikeLowrey like this.

The data sheet for that thing is contains no sensitivity specs and it's described as a "dust sensor for air conditioners" which doesn't inspire confidence If it's just to get the thing working again, who cares how accurate it is? It's not like the original sensor is a high precision piece of equipment.

So, is the problem that that the Mi is stuck on max all the time and is unusably loud because the sensor is busted? If that's the case, then why don't you go into the Mi Home app and force it to the Favourite setting, and manually set that (long press the Favourite icon) to a more bearable speed?

I manually set the speed of these things anyway, never use Auto. That's the sole function that makes this purifier anything other than a minimalist looking house decoration. In fact, I am surprised to even hear that Auto boosts the fan speed, it's never done that under normal operation for me.
    True. But I'm a bit OCD and I'm always curious about the air quality inside my flat. Lol.

It seems like the company has another name for the international market called Plantower. The Samoair G7 is Plantower pms7009, and there seems to be a bit more information on the internet. I'm digging through it right now, will report back if I can interpret the data at all.

Not sure how reputable this website is though.
    The Plantower PMS5003 and PMS7003 Air Quality Sensor experiment

I went ahead and bought it on Taobao for 165, will report back when I receive it (it should be the end of the month because of Chinese New Year). Apparently it's the same sensor as the one in the Middle purifier 2s and Pro, so at least it's better than the original one.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLowrey
    I went ahead and bought it on Taobao for 165, will report back when I receive it (it should be the end of the month because of Chinese New Year). Apparently it's the same sensor as the one in the Middle purifier 2s and Pro, so at least it's better than the original one.
    I'm not sure if I understood what you're trying to achieve, is it just to get the Mi working at normal speeds again, or is it to get accurate measurements?
    jrkob likes this.

I'm not sure if I understood what you're trying to achieve, is it just to get the Mi working at normal speeds again, or is it to get accurate measurements?
    Both. I can set it to the speed I want with or without the sensor, but I prefer to leave it on Auto. Initially I just wanted to replace the sensor with stock parts, but now if for the same money I could get a more accurate reading than the stock sensor, that would be a bonus.

According to a review, the mi air purifier 2 will only stay on max for 3 hours at a time before activating the auto mode. So it makes sense to get the sensor working. Xiaomi has also been accused of lowering the pm2.5 reading to give an impression that the air purifier is working. It will be fun to see if using a third party sensor will stop that behavior.

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/...safe-86-hours/

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast