Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By huja

Need help with sunblock products

Closed Thread

Need help with sunblock products

I've never bought one before.

Any particular non-side effects sunblock product that I buy at Watson for someone whose facial skin can easily be irritated by some strong and heavy ingredients?

Thanks.

Probably a sunblobk that uses zinc as a main ingredient. Zinc is considered a natural sunblock ingredient so people find it less irritating.

I like Sebamed SPF30 multi protect sun cream. Never irritates my skin. I find that I don't need to use any cream under it because it acts as both skincare+sun protection. It has some vitamins too. This is how the packaging looks.
    Sebamed Multi Protect Sun Cream SPF30 -Bonjour Cosmetics Online Shop

Also Banana Boat Natural Reflect is very gentle on the skin as well. Doesn't have anything irritating in it. This is how the packaging looks.
    https://www.amazon.com/Banana-Boat-N.../dp/B0063A42GE

You can make your own. Raw materials to do it would be sold at this store in Sheung Wan:
    Shiu Shing Hong Raw Materials for Cosmetics

Quote Originally Posted by angeluscomplex:
    I use this too, or the similar one in the white little bottle.

The other option if you are sensitive is to go for the local's approach - which is basically fabric. You can buy hats ( in pretty much all the outdoor stores) that are full coverage (including the front! seriously!). You can hike with an umbrella (again, many locals do it). Long pants; long sleeved shirts; sun gloves etc. I have used this approach for years here too - it works fine. Better than you might expect provided you buy good outdoor fabrics that wick sweat.

Agree 100% that fabric covers on the body are far superior to any lotion, salve, cream or spray, if your goal is to prevent the solar radiation from reaching your skin. Without the sunlight on the skin, the skin naturally gets lighter colored. If some other goal is in force, then maybe the creams are the way to go.

Me? I'm lily white, even the dermatologists marvel at my white white skin. However, I'm just a small genetic step up from the colorless albino person. So, too bad for me, but i'm very susceptible to radiation damage in my skin cells coz I have hardly any radiation absorbing coloration.

I've used many kinds of sunblock. The Banana Boat Natural is a terrific absorber but carries whiteness with it, due to the zinc or titanium oxides, the principal action chemical. Other chemicals work but without the power of the named minerals. They can be useful for most folks, certainly for any normal chinese person. White folks generally need more protection. To me, skin cancer is much like lung cancer: mostly preventable through individual response.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    You can make your own. Raw materials to do it would be sold at this store in Sheung Wan:
    Shiu Shing Hong Raw Materials for Cosmetics
    Just came across an article saying it's probably best (safest) to buy commercial products. I'll post a link if I can find it again.
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jobin:
    Agree 100% that fabric covers on the body are far superior to any lotion, salve, cream or spray, if your goal is to prevent the solar radiation from reaching your skin. Without the sunlight on the skin, the skin naturally gets lighter colored. If some other goal is in force, then maybe the creams are the way to go.

Me? I'm lily white, even the dermatologists marvel at my white white skin. However, I'm just a small genetic step up from the colorless albino person. So, too bad for me, but i'm very susceptible to radiation damage in my skin cells coz I have hardly any radiation absorbing coloration.

I've used many kinds of sunblock. The Banana Boat Natural is a terrific absorber but carries whiteness with it, due to the zinc or titanium oxides, the principal action chemical. Other chemicals work but without the power of the named minerals. They can be useful for most folks, certainly for any normal chinese person. White folks generally need more protection. To me, skin cancer is much like lung cancer: mostly preventable through individual response.
    The Banana Boat Natural has a very, very slight white tint. The Sunplay 130spf has a much whiter tint to it Sebamed one doesn't have a tint. Also all Curel sunblocks are very gentle, have ceramides(they are great for sensitive skin) and no white tint. OP wanted to protect facial skin so can't protect it with fabric. Sunblock, sunnies and a hat is what will give the most protection.