Like Tree15Likes

Recommendations on sinusitis surgery

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shri:

You can see that the charges for everything varies by room type.
    Corrected.

Fees are much cheaper if you go off the Island, say Baptist or Union Hospital. Get a ward room (4-5 bed). Call the hospital and see the house surgeon. Bapist has a 2 week wait I think, so book early. Hong Kong Baptist Hospital

Interestingly, the ENT doctor's secretary said they only quote private or semi-private (which is the twin room). Downgrading to twin room reduces the costs by about 20k, but the total costs are still way above my insurance's maximum coverage. I've asked my GP to refer me to a different ENT doctor. Will see him next Thursday.

Thanks for the info. I will be seeing a new ENT doctor. Hopefully he performs surgery at Baptist or Union hospital. Will find out.

Quote Originally Posted by cometqq:
    Interestingly, the ENT doctor's secretary said they only quote private or semi-private (which is the twin room)..
    I can't think of any reason apart from sheer greed as to why he won't quote for a ward bed.

I can't think of any reason either. I'll see this ENT doctor in three weeks (though I've made an appointment with another ENT doctor for a second opinion on the surgery thing). Will ask him about the quotes (perhaps there was some miscommunication between me and his secretary). I've seen a bad review on Matilda and the surgeon there on this forum, so maybe they are not really something worth paying big money for.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    I can't think of any reason apart from sheer greed as to why he won't quote for a ward bed.

Interestingly, the ENT doctor's secretary said they only quote private or semi-private (which is the twin room). Downgrading to twin room reduces the costs by about 20k, but the total costs are still way above my insurance's maximum coverage. I've asked my GP to refer me to a different ENT doctor. Will see him next Thursday.
    Get a second opinion. You might not even need the surgery. Just saying....
    cometqq and z754103 like this.

I've just worked on a hospitalization case for one of our employees (back surgery). Surgeon quoted beyond 'fair and reasonable' so insurer tried to work with him to get it down - they went up a little, he came down a tiny bit. It was still at 600k but insurer agreed to accept it (god help our renwal premiums). One week later, a 2-3 day stay became a 5-day stay and a 4-hour operation became an 11-hour operation. Total bill 1.2m. Matilda.

I had a friend in Baptist having a kidney removed recently and stayed on the ward basis to retain costs. Wonderful facilities, really good nursing staff (and lots of them as it's connected to the Baptist U and the nursing training school).

Costs can escalate horribly and the more private the room is, the worse it gets. Stick to ward (it would be fine for a few days after a relatively simple operation like yours) and your costs, if they rise, won't go over the edge.

Good luck with it all.

shri, Cwbguy and cometqq like this.

I can't think of any reason either. I'll see this ENT doctor in three weeks (though I've made an appointment with another ENT doctor for a second opinion on the surgery thing). Will ask him about the quotes (perhaps there was some miscommunication between me and his secretary). I've seen a bad review on Matilda and the surgeon there on this forum, so maybe they are not really something worth paying big money for.
    Miscommunication in HK speak = lying.

@cometqq. Out of interest does your surgeon work in Central and have a motorbike in the waiting area?