Like Tree3Likes

nutritionist/dietician recommendations

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

nutritionist/dietician recommendations

Hi All

So I am at the maximum weight now and with diabetic readings in the pre-diabetic level, I really need to do something about it.

I am 35Y old male and weigh 115 kgs, height 6'2" and have been a foodie all my life. although I used to hit the gym and diet before reaching this level in the past.

I need recommendations for a nutritionist who is familiar is western/indian diet and will try & understand the body and lifestyle needs before making a plan.

I can get 100 plans online which is ask me to have salads and cut carbs etc but they are not going to work for me in long run. I cant completely cut off the curries and pizza. I need something which allow me to cheat may be twice a month and helps me with some diet that doesn't tastes bad

please give your recommendations!
    thanks!

i'm not a nutritionist but i have studied health and fitness substantially and have a model's physique. is there anything i can do to help you?

thanks
    I am looking for someone to chart out a customized diet plan for me after looking at my physique and dietary preferences.
    My insurance cover a registered nutritionist trip

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

HKU SPACE has a dietetic clinic at Admiralty.

https://hkuspace.hku.hk/dietetic-clinic

Note: A Dietitian is qualified to provide medical nutrition therapy, e.g. for diabetes. A Nutritionist is not.

hey BSC,

How did your session go with the nutritionist?
    What did they do? I want to know so I can try to dovetail and complement from what I know.

I used to be really unhealthy, and underweight a few years ago and I understand the struggles with health because I read a lot of health books and fixed myself from the ground up by improving my range of motion and gaining a lot more muscle.

Have you enrolled in the hong kong fitness class to gain access to the government gyms?

thanks
    no I haven't met any dietician yet I want to meet one first and will write here about what they say
    @Canaduh I have a gym in my building but the problem is getting myself to go there regularly. thanks so much for your offer, let me see a dietician and then I will get in touch with you
    @Claire ex-ax any person in particular from that clinic? I am looking for someone who is more expat friendly and can understand individual needs rather than giving me something I cant follow more than 7 days

You could try a long-distance programme. Intensive Dietary Management is run by a Nephrologist, Jason Fung, from Canada. He has been researching diabetes and diet for some time.

He also has an excellent book, which goes into some detail about diet and diabetes.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.c...tance-program/

https://www.amazon.com/Obesity-Code-.../dp/1771641258

thanks

for a start I would prefer someone who is in HK as my insurance only covers local dieticians

@bsc1280 - not sure if you've seen another thread if I recall correctly @Elegiaque had started the HKU Space or the Stanley Ho Sports Center program.

https://geoexpat.com/forum/115/thread338749.html

Elegiaque likes this.

Yes, shri, that's right. I can't say I've been that pleased with it, but I'm dealing a lot directly with HKU, too, and that part is frustrating. The dietician I have seen is Australian-Chinese. But I suggest the OP just contact the clinic directly to ask his questions and get more information.

I feel to some degree the people I meet with are rather old fashioned, and as that other thread demonstrates, I'm not sure what dieticians know/preach is anything better than pseudoscience. She has made some helpful suggestions (not using food as a reward, cutting down on olive oil in evening meals, having a piece of fruit as a snack if I'm going to have a late dinner), but it's really not worth the money... She was very much against having more than 5 pieces of walnuts as a snack because of the "high fat" (=calories), and I've come to think this is flat out wrong.

Anyway, what can you really expect a dietician to say? Nothing you would particularly want to hear or do that you didn't know already!

https://geoexpat.com/forum/82/thread339922.html

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast