Like Tree2Likes

Prostate Exam (best place to get one?)

Closed Thread

Question Prostate Exam (best place to get one?)

Hi all.

Coming from Canada I'm used to just walking into my local clinic and an hour or two later(wait time, exam is 2mins) my free DRE(digital rectal exam aka the short arm salute) prostate exam is done.

I like to get them about every 2-3 years and I'm due. But from all the clinics I've seen so far they have no exam table, just a desk.

So where is the best place for a simple prostate exam here in HK? Are there good walk-in clinics that do them? Better to go to a urologist for a good one? Are they expensive, require a referral or have long wait lists? Do they do the instant uti tests in house or got to go elsewhere?

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks. Called and have an appointment for today.

Most GPs are willing to do it at their clinic as part of regular visit. No extra cost.

So all went OK but doing extra ultrasound just to be safe. But the cost for that and blood test is so high I was told that I could spend a bit more for a full body check as most offer that ultrasound and much more.

So anybody know of an easy way to compare body check offers around HK and what they offer? Found one that was only $600 more and did tons more than just a prostate ultrasound. Thanks.

Well I wasn't planning on it but it seems that within the last few years less and less doctors rely on the Dre and prefer straight to u/s. So this doc said it would be best and to get PSA. I just planned on Dre as usual but times change

Well the simple visit and Dre cost $500ish. But us/PSA will cost $2k. So that's why my friend suggest the whole body check.

I'll just look around online and get prices and check out the one you mentioned too. Thanks.

less doctors rely on the Dre
    As do their patients.

By the way, also do keep an eye out on Groupon. I don't think any of the fancier checks are available but you can get basic screening done for very cheap.

Also, our Insurance company offers free check ups every year - which are detailed, but I don't think they offer DRE / Ultrasounds for people under 50... (shit I have to look forward to next year!)

A bit too much info.. but much appreciated.