Like Tree5Likes

Seeking Medical Advise on Kidney Transplant

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation Seeking Medical Advise on Kidney Transplant

Hi Everyone!
    My father is in uk and his nephrologist informed him that he would need dialysis in near future. Nephrologist also mentioned that he would also require a kidney transplantation in distant future. The problem is that it's really hard to find a donor in uk and waiting list is too long. I was wondering if it's easier to find a donor in Hong Kong/ China. Does any one know how long is waiting list in China/Hong Kong? Secondly, any one has recommendation for a nephrologist who can help me find a donor?
    Thanks in advance.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

According the the Organ Donation website, as at 31.12.2015 there were nearly 2,000 people on the kidney transplantation list.

In 2015, there were 66 transplants from deceased donors and from 15 live donors.

So there is a considerable wait in Hong Kong, assuming he is eligible.

I don't think doctors in Hong Kong are in a position to find private donors, and I don't think it's even legal.

I have heard that getting a kidney in China is much easier than Hong Kong. If you have the cash.

East_coast likes this.

Have you considered donating a kidney yourself?

I read an article in the US about kidney-swap arrangements - If you are not a match, someone who is a match can donate to your father, if you donate to their family member who you are a match with.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    I have heard that getting a kidney in China is much easier than Hong Kong. If you have the cash.
    Yes I heard the same, do you know any one in China who can help?

I talked to the doctor about donating kidney and he said that they prefer someone who is under 25. I am in 30s. However, i am currently undergoing tests to see if my kidney is compatible. But I am also looking for other options incase my kidney doesn't match the requirements .

shri and spode like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SannyJ:
    Have you considered donating a kidney yourself?

I read an article in the US about kidney-swap arrangements - If you are not a match, someone who is a match can donate to your father, if you donate to their family member who you are a match with.
    I talked to the doctor about donating kidney and he said that they prefer someone who is under 25. I am in 30s. However, i am currently undergoing tests to see if my kidney is compatible. But I am also looking for other options incase my kidney doesn't match the requirements .

Quote Originally Posted by Alphamale:
    Yes I heard the same, do you know any one in China who can help?
    Way too dodgy and emotionally expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Way too dodgy and emotionally expensive.
    I understand that there might be expenses but how is it dodgy?

Quote Originally Posted by Alphamale:
    I understand that there might be expenses but how is it dodgy?
    It's illegal. And medical stuff is much riskier (not HK quality).

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast