Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree26Likes

Advice needed - Maternity Cost in HK

Quote Originally Posted by jrkob
    My wife delivered at Queen's Mary hospital and she had to have a C-section. Stayed 3 days.
    The bill was HKD120. I paid with my Octopus card.
    I always wanted to do it that way, and have the reciept with "Payment type: Octopus" framed for posterity. Alas, our bill was too high to use a travel card.

I don't get why "paying by Octopus" is so exciting to everyone? When I was in the UK I didn't use my Oyster card to pay at the hospital because it was free...

In my case as I thought it would me an amusing record for my offspring.

Can you pay for anything at a British hospital with an Oyster card? I hadn't realised they'd also been adopted as a general payment mechanism.

I always advise women to give birth in a good public hospital in Hong Kong, private insurance or not. Have seen and heard too many horror scenarios of things going wrong in private hospitals here, especially the posh ones such as Mathilda and Adventist. Of course you seldom read about this as parents can’t speak publicy with lengthy lawsuits pending.

So the food will suck in public, possibly even the doc’s bedside manners too. But at least the odds of having an uncomplicated delivery and healthy baby are MUCH higher. And that’s what really counts.

we went public, got C section as nudged/requested, got semi private ward (3 to a ward), Full day unlimited visitors allowed, I was in the operating room while the kid was born, didnt get to see the come out as i was next to the mrs, view was obstructed by a green curtain, they did bring the kid to me after she was wiped down and wrapped in a towel. Was a very exciting day.

2 days later they took the kid to ICU ward due to low blood sugar level, kid stayed in this ward for over a week, it was heart breaking seeing my kid attached to these drips and then I saw really small premature kids in the warm boxes or some parents holding them, it was my 1st time seeing such small babies, such an eye opener but the nurses were very good in the kids ICU ward and also the semi private ward.

Over all paid around 8K for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Jones
    I always advise women to give birth in a good public hospital in Hong Kong, private insurance or not.
    The problem is "good public hospital" access depends on where you live.

If you live in the QMH catchment then yes, public is probably as good or maybe better than private in terms of outcomes. If your local hospital is Tuen Mun, UCH...different story.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007
    we went public, got C section as nudged/requested, got semi private ward (3 to a ward), Full day unlimited visitors allowed, I was in the operating room while the kid was born, didnt get to see the come out as i was next to the mrs, view was obstructed by a green curtain, they did bring the kid to me after she was wiped down and wrapped in a towel. Was a very exciting day.

2 days later they took the kid to ICU ward due to low blood sugar level, kid stayed in this ward for over a week, it was heart breaking seeing my kid attached to these drips and then I saw really small premature kids in the warm boxes or some parents holding them, it was my 1st time seeing such small babies, such an eye opener but the nurses were very good in the kids ICU ward and also the semi private ward.

All three of mine had to spend time in those boxes. Teeny tiny little hands and feet. They all took it like champs and are doing well these days.
    chuckster007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007

Dare I ask, civil servant benefits?
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Dare I ask, civil servant benefits?
    CS pay near to nothing and get the private rooms, we only got a little discount for being Hospital Authority Staff
    shri likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123