Like Tree30Likes

Major dental work - Implants and Crowns (dentist recommendations?)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Major dental work - Implants and Crowns (dentist recommendations?)

hi there, i am asking for my mom who needs 11 crowns and 1 implants.
    We will be flying from the US. She speaks fluent Cantonese. Anyone have recommendation of a good dentist?

We have decided to have the work done in Hong Kong as she will be retiring here also University of Hong Kong has the #1 dental program in the world, figured they have better dentists there.

Many thanks in advance!

Hi.

I am no expert, yet I have a recent good experience with Dr. Chan, Chi Fei in Prince Edward.

I had trouble with one tooth, and two other dentists suggested a root canal treatment, which is complicated and costs HKD10,000+.

He made a filling only and suggested we should monitor first for a weeks and then probably add a crown. I went again this week, and he told me, we dont even need a crown. So I saved a lot of money and trouble.

They use latest technology, and everyone is very gentle and patient.

https://www.finddoc.com/en/doctor/in...n-chi-fei-7477

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by alexatie:
    We will be flying from the US. She speaks fluent Cantonese. Anyone have recommendation of a good dentist?

We have decided to have the work done in Hong Kong as she will be retiring here also University of Hong Kong has the #1 dental program in the world, figured they have better dentists there.

Many thanks in advance!
    Terrible idea unless you mum is a millionaire. Hk has some of the highest cost dentists I have ever come across. Bangkok is a much better option. That's where I go.

I would have thought having the major work done in the USA would be more cost efficient and better quality? Its bloody expensive in Hong Kong. At least in the USA its easy to sue for negligent dental work.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Terrible idea unless you mum is a millionaire. Hk has some of the highest cost dentists I have ever come across. Bangkok is a much better option. That's where I go.
    From experience I can recommend here:-

https://www.bnhhospital.com/medical-...dental-centre/

I had a crown done here over 15 years ago which is still in excellant condition, and HK dentist said was very high quality work.

Price was a fraction of HK pricing.

Another choice could be:-

https://www.bumrungrad.com/thailandhospital

flashier and more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by big_panda:
    I would have thought having the major work done in the USA would be more cost efficient and better quality? Its bloody expensive in Hong Kong. At least in the USA its easy to sue for negligent dental work.
    uhm... unless you make a habit of it, it's never easy to sue, including in the US.
    it's usually *possible,* and at times worthwhile, but it's never easy.
    no one in their right mind would take bad dental work and a cash settlement over good dental work.

Many thanks in advance!
    In HK that is around 140-150k HKD (crown around 10k and implant+crown 30-35k)
    So definitely not cheap.
    For such major work definitely worth it to go to Thailand.
    biffski likes this.

You're welcome, dear OP.

No, a crown does not cost 10k in all clinics. Expats often pay more than locals going to dentists in Central or expat dentists.

An implant+ crown probably in Northern NT costs at least 50% cheaper than in Central, dentists there trying to compete with prices in Shenzhen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sith:
    HKD (crown around 10k and implant+crown 30-35k)
    So definitely not cheap.
    For such major work definitely worth it to go to Thailand.

Anyone have recommendation of a good dentist?
    Do they have to be graduates of University of Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast