Giving birth in HKG

Closed Thread

Giving birth in HKG

Good morning, sorry if this is in the wrong area.

I live and work in UK and also hold a HKID card (3 star), however, my wife is from Guangzhou, and doesn't hold HKID card. She recently came over to UK on a 2 year settlement visa and we plan on starting a family March next year. However, when the time comes to giving birth (around december), she wants to give birth in HKG only. She insists that by giving birth in HKG the child will automatically be entitled for a BNO passport and HKID card thus able to obtain the China ID card (wui heung din).

As far as I am aware, BNO is no longer available, and it was only offered before 1997, is that right?

I've tried looking at the IMMG web site for HKG regarding this topic, but had no luck. If anyone knows where I can find out more on this I would be very grateful.

Sorry for asking a stupid question and many thanks for your kind help.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Applications for the BNO in Hong Kong ceased in 1997 when it was no longer a British colony. Only renewals for people who applied before June 30 1997 are accepted.

BTW, it isn't on the Hong Kong ImmD site as the BNO is issued by the British government, not the Chinese government. Check on a British government website where you will find the relevant information.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 14-11-2008 at 02:23 PM.

Good morning Claire ex-ax, mainy thanks for the confirmation, just as I thought.

I assume instead, the child will get a HKSAR passport/HKG ID card instead.

Quote Originally Posted by porkscratchings:
    Good morning Claire ex-ax, mainy thanks for the confirmation, just as I thought.

I assume instead, the child will get a HKSAR passport/HKG ID card instead.
    Correct.

Wouldnt it be better to have the baby in UK so that he/she can get the full British passport, he/she will still be entitled to get the HK ID through you and then get the HKSAR passport as well plus the Wui Hung Ching if you ever plan to come back to Honkers.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Many Thanks pin for the information, sorry that I didn't reply to thank you in the last post, I was running late for work and had to rush off.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Correct.

Wouldnt it be better to have the baby in UK so that he/she can get the full British passport, he/she will still be entitled to get the HK ID through you and then get the HKSAR passport as well plus the Wui Hung Ching if you ever plan to come back to Honkers.
    She prefers to give birth in HKG, however, I felt otherwise and she should give birth in UK otherwise we might lose entitlements for the child. I wasn't aware that the child wouldn't get full British passport if born outside UK, does that mean the child will follow the wife citizen identity? If the child can get HK ID through me does that mean my wife can too, bearing in mind that I haven't lived in HKG before nor born in HKG nor do I have a Wui Hung Ching?

Many thanks for your reply.

What is your citizenship? Children born in the UK to foreigners don't automatically get British Citizenship, so if you aren't a full British Citizen then your child would, I think, be a Chinese Citizen if born in the UK.

The previous advice about BNO is correct.

Moreover, there is a strict quota on mainland Chinese giving birth in Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    What is your citizenship? Children born in the UK to foreigners don't automatically get British Citizenship, so if you aren't a full British Citizen then your child would, I think, be a Chinese Citizen if born in the UK.

The previous advice about BNO is correct.

Moreover, there is a strict quota on mainland Chinese giving birth in Hong Kong.
    I am a British Born Chinese with full UK passport.

I've read on the net regarding the problems it had with a large stream of mainland chinese going over to HKG to give birth and the burden it had with local people, is there a way to find out what quota is available on certain months.

Many thanks.

Hospital Authority

This really won't be easy - and I really don't see the point given the possibility of birth in the UK (which, by the way would mean that your grandchildren could have British passports automatically - if your child is born in HK then they will be British by Descent which means that their children will not be).