Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Insurance for My Parents

Quote Originally Posted by AnneCo
    Hi there, I'm currently working in HK full time and I have my 60 year old mother living here with me. In the country I used to work in you were allowed to pay an extra fee on top of whatever the company was paying for your health insurance so that your parents would also be covered. Is there such thing in HK?
    If not does anyone know of a good insurance company/plan that's not too expensive (I make about 14k a month). Thanks.
    Also to add, I don't need to pay rent so most of my income is free to use if that makes any difference.

Also to add, I don't need to pay rent so most of my income is free to use if that makes any difference.
    Honestly if she's on a proper visa, all her medical needs will be covered by the system.

Unfortunately she does not get the vouchers until she is 70.

Would recommend just "Self insuring". Your premiums even for doctors visits will be around 5-10K a year - which should cover most private medical needs if you just pay out of pocket. Whenever you see a GP, get them to give you a referral to the govt system and get into the system.

For major / chronic issues get registered in the system - I know several people who use the system for long term / chronic medication.
    HK_Katherine and Fiona in HKG like this.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Hi there, thanks so much for your help. I'd just like a clarification if thats possible. I have no experience with this at all so I don't really understand. When you say system you mean government system? And if she registers then she'll be able to go to government hospitals? Are government hospitals here a lot cheaper? I remeber looking into government hospitals before when we wanted her to just get a general check up with bloodwork and everything and we got directed to the Nethersole Christian Community Health Service which was well out of our way and still cost nearly 2k. Am I just not looking at the correct websites? Also you mentioned she wouldn't be able to get the 'coupons' until the age of 70. Meaning she wont be able to use the service until the age of 70? Thanks so much for all your help

Govt hospitals are for needs - not wants. They don't do "walk in" general checkups.

If you need a blood checkup or have specific medical problems, get your GP to write you a referral letter - the wait might be 3-6 months for the initial appointment (for non-urgent problems), depending on the hospital.

Once you're in the system, follow ups / meds are cheap - $100 or so per visit including meds (forget the exact number).

Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Hi there, thanks so much for your help. I'd just like a clarification if thats possible. I have no experience with this at all so I don't really understand. When you say system you mean government system? And if she registers then she'll be able to go to government hospitals? Are government hospitals here a lot cheaper? I remeber looking into government hospitals before when we wanted her to just get a general check up with bloodwork and everything and we got directed to the Nethersole Christian Community Health Service which was well out of our way and still cost nearly 2k. Am I just not looking at the correct websites? Also you mentioned she wouldn't be able to get the 'coupons' until the age of 70. Meaning she wont be able to use the service until the age of 70? Thanks so much for all your help
    As long as she meets the "eligible person" criteria below, the maximum charge is <200.
    holders of Hong Kong Identity Card issued under the Registration of Persons Ordinance (Chapter 177), except those who obtained their Hong Kong Identity Card by virtue of a previous permission to land or remain in Hong Kong granted to them and such permission has expired or ceased to be valid;
    As the care is prioritised on a need basis, non-urgent cases will have a bit of a waiting list. But in the event you're really in need of medical attention, the government hospitals are the best equipped. See below for information.

Hospital Authority

I pointed out on post 5 that you can use the public system if you have a visa. I've used it as have many others on here. Perfectly fine if you are sick. Doctors all speak English, nurses not so much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12