Like Tree3Likes

Insurance for My Parents

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Red face Insurance for My Parents

Hi there, I'm currently working in HK full time and I have my 60 year old mother living here with me. In the country I used to work in you were allowed to pay an extra fee on top of whatever the company was paying for your health insurance so that your parents would also be covered. Is there such thing in HK?
    If not does anyone know of a good insurance company/plan that's not too expensive (I make about 14k a month). Thanks.

Not many good options (i.e. they give you something significant over the local govt system) available here which would be suitable, given your income.

I assume she's a legal resident (i.e. has some sort of visa which gives her residency / ID card)? Or is she on a long visitor visa?

Could mother of OP be on dependent visa as age is 60?

Quote Originally Posted by vyral_143:
    Could mother of OP be on dependent visa as age is 60?
    Yes. Parents over 60 can be sponsored as dependents, but OP's salary is too low and unlikely to be successful.
    vyral_143 likes this.

If the OP's mum is living with her she must have a visa, otherwise she's be illegal and in more trouble that just needing health insurance. With a visa and ID card she has access to the Government hospitals and clinics at very low cost (like, 150 dollars a day if hospitalised, for everything). If not, she's on a short visit and should get travel insurance (purchased from the home country). You can get annual policies if she is making many visits, and it's usually much cheaper than normal health insurance.

EDIT - if she buys her plane tickets with a credit card, some of them also offer free travel insurance. She should check.

It depends on the employer's insurance plan - I've heard that Mainland Chinese banks offer this type of parental coverage.

Insurance for 60 year old will not be easy to find and definitely won't be cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    EDIT - if she buys her plane tickets with a credit card, some of them also offer free travel insurance. She should check.
    Most credit cards offer travel accident insurance, which is very different to comprehensive medical insurance.

It's great if your flight is severely delayed, or your luggage is lost, but not much else.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Yes. Parents over 60 can be sponsored as dependents, but OP's salary is too low and unlikely to be successful.
    But you need to be a PR to sponsor a parent over 60.

Quote Originally Posted by Seagulls!:
    Most credit cards offer travel accident insurance, which is very different to comprehensive medical insurance.

It's great if your flight is severely delayed, or your luggage is lost, but not much else.
    Amex offers full insurance. Which works (believe me, I went through a period of really putting it to the test!).

If the Mum has no ID card, its doubtful any HK issuer will cover her even if the employer policy allows it. They expect such people to be legal residents and always ask for ID cards on the forms (I've filled them in for our employees and spouses etc).

She has a dependent visa and will be getting her PR card in about a year

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast