Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree16Likes

Psychiatrist for expat support

Very hard to find a good psychiatrist here, for sure. A few years back my partner went to one of the 'best in town'. Half an hour history-taking, prescribed drugs, follow up every two weeks, five minutes each time, more drugs. Overdose of the drugs, into hospital, refused to visit him. I spoke with him on the phone - come back when he's out and I'll give you a new prescription. Needless to say that was the last contact I had.

Went to a psychotherapist on discharge and she helped him (and me) way more than the psychiatrist had ever done. I know insurance will only cover a psychiatrist but.....at the end of the day it's coping methods that work best. In my humble opinion anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG
    Very hard to find a good psychiatrist here, for sure. A few years back my partner went to one of the 'best in town'. Half an hour history-taking, prescribed drugs, follow up every two weeks, five minutes each time, more drugs. Overdose of the drugs, into hospital, refused to visit him. I spoke with him on the phone - come back when he's out and I'll give you a new prescription. Needless to say that was the last contact I had.

Went to a psychotherapist on discharge and she helped him (and me) way more than the psychiatrist had ever done. I know insurance will only cover a psychiatrist but.....at the end of the day it's coping methods that work best. In my humble opinion anyway.
    I think the follow up every two weeks is a bit of a scam. Mine gave me pills for 2 weeks and forced me to go back for the 5 minutes and $1,000 meeting for more, till I discovered I could get the same pills for one fifth of the price at any pharmacy. . A great income stream for them, and totally not needed.

" I know insurance will only cover a psychiatrist but...." I think you will find that a lot of insurance companies will not cover psychiatry, BUPA certainly doesn't, and my shrink said he only knew of one or two that did. This in itself is a major problem.

(P.S. An opinion should never be humble!)
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Be careful out there. There are no morals in Hong Kong,even among health care professionals. Scum of the earth .

Jaz Paul and Cheeky Kiwi like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King
    Be careful out there. There are no morals in Hong Kong,even among health care professionals. Scum of the earth .
    Yup, fuck everybody. It's everyone for themselves.

Everyone in the private sector is out to make a buck. And public sector is...well... China really.

Good luck to the O P. Hope you find suitable help. It can get rough here .

Cwbguy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King
    Everyone in the private sector is out to make a buck. And public sector is...well... China really.

Good luck to the O P. Hope you find suitable help. It can get rough here .
    Thought I would dig out my old receipts to see exactly how much treatment was back in 2015.

Initial consultation, 45 minutes, $3,000+$280 medicine.

Second consult a week later-$1,000+$950 for two weeks of medicine available at any pharmacy for $165

Two weeks later-$1,000+$2,050 for unspecified medicine

Next consult two weeks later-$1,000+$1,800 for 4 weeks of the same medicine as the second consult.

After that I said I would buy my meds from Fanda, thank you very much, and didn't see the need to go back every two weeks either.

Very nice income stream if patient does go for fortnightly visits. $26,000 a year per patient on consults, and at least another $20,000 on medicine mark ups.

Due to the chronic shortage of psychiatrists he is usually fully booked.
    shri and Fiona in HKG like this.

Having experienced similar when I first moved to hong kong, I found the cause of my anxiety and depression down to mainly environmental factors (not saying that is OP situation here necessarily).

Maximising sleep and adding cardio exercise and cleaning up my diet (avoiding local/China sourced foods) where possible made a huge difference.

Seek out more social contact also (difficult I know with anxiety involved but very worthwhile).

Dont want to weigh in regarding psych professionals as I dont believe either meds or psychotherapy can help much where HKs harsh environment is a cause.

Good luck OP

No one solution fits all...

Having been to a private psychologist manifesting sheer lack of empathy blended with condescension and a local social worker who just couldn't communicate, I discovered what works best for me: 3 shots of JD and coke on alternate days.

To hell with these pseudo- medical practitioners.

nivantj and shamblesuk like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeky Kiwi
    Yup, fuck everybody. It's everyone for themselves.
    That’s the general mentality amongst all Hong Kong-ers, not only the health care professionals.
    MerMer and Jaz Paul like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy
    Thought I would dig out my old receipts to see exactly how much treatment was back in 2015.

Initial consultation, 45 minutes, $3,000+$280 medicine.

Second consult a week later-$1,000+$950 for two weeks of medicine available at any pharmacy for $165

Two weeks later-$1,000+$2,050 for unspecified medicine

Next consult two weeks later-$1,000+$1,800 for 4 weeks of the same medicine as the second consult.

After that I said I would buy my meds from Fanda, thank you very much, and didn't see the need to go back every two weeks either.

Very nice income stream if patient does go for fortnightly visits. $26,000 a year per patient on consults, and at least another $20,000 on medicine mark ups.

Due to the chronic shortage of psychiatrists he is usually fully booked.
    Very true about not all insurance covering psychiatric care. But when they do, they are always careful to exclude counselling which is actually (in my not humble option) a lot better than five minutes and a bag of drugs. Sometimes it's just about someone caring enough to listen, understanding what you're going through and giving you some coping skills.
    MerMer likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123