Like Tree59Likes

Wife is 6 Weeks Pregnant - Public Hospital Advice?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Random2389456

Wife is 6 Weeks Pregnant - Public Hospital Advice?

Hello Friends,

I am an expat working here in HK and have HKID as well.

2 days before doctor confirmed that my wife is 6 week pregnant. Doctor gave me referral letter to Princess Margaret hospital for antenatal testing (testing performed before child birth).

Today is 14 Feb and I have got the appointment of 3rd April and 17th April.

Now, I am confused about whether should I wait till 3rd April for very first antenatal testing or go to private clinic (which is also very expensive) ?

Is it even normal to wait that much for 1st antenatal testing?

Is it safe to wait that much for mother and child?

This is my first child and I don't know anything about what and how to do.

I am just worrying about mother and child health.

Please advice me what I should do now.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Random2389456; 14-02-2018 at 10:38 AM. Reason: typo mistake

Do you have medical insurance provided by your employer? You should check whether it has any maternity cover. Even if you're on a local plan, it does usually cover pre- and post-natal checkups.

Random2389456 likes this.

This is the sort of major life event that you really want to be reading a real book about, or at least reading on reputable medical sites rather than asking for random advice on the internet. There is a huge amount of contradictory information available from anyone who has ever had a kid, and it can get very confusing.

On the subject of antenatal visit frequency:

UK: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregna...ment-schedule/

US: https://www.webmd.com/baby/how-often...renatal-visits

I would suggest either of these books:

https://www.shopinhk.com/product.php?productid=26776234

https://www.shopinhk.com/product.php?productid=11187762

Last edited by shri; 14-02-2018 at 11:00 AM. Reason: And thank you so much for supporting ShopInHK ...
    z754103 and Random2389456 like this.

That is normal. Your wife is just 6 week pregnant, and there is not much to do at this stage.

If you go to a private doctor, they might do a internal ultrasound that will be expensive, but that will not be able to show much, but just to confirm that your wife is pregnant by checking that the sac is there..... Heartbeat can usually been seen after 8 week.

Last edited by gataloca; 14-02-2018 at 11:06 AM.
    Random2389456 likes this.

Random2389456
    Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Do you have medical insurance provided by your employer? You should check whether it has any maternity cover. Even if you're on a local plan, it does usually cover pre- and post-natal checkups.
    I have already checked this.
    Unfortunately, my medical insurance is not covering this.

Congratulations! Have a read through this article on GeoBaby.

Pregnant in Hong Kong: Public vs. Private Hospitals - Hong Kong GeoBaby

Please opt for child birth in a reputable public hospital such as Queen Mary. Perhaps not the best bedside manner, but top notch health care for your wife and baby. I have seen too many deliveries go (horribly) wrong in the posh private hospitals such as Mathilda and Adventist. You can always supplement with some private consultations at a private clinic with a good obstetrician, I can recommend Grace Cheung at Central Health for example.

Good luck and congrats on the pregnancy!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Jones:
    Please opt for child birth in a reputable public hospital such as Queen Mary.
    Dont think you can choose which public hospital to have your baby at, it sort of follows your registered HOME address.
    jrkob, shri, imparanoic and 1 others like this.

Random2389456
    Quote Originally Posted by gataloca:
    Heartbeat can usually been seen after 8 week.
    That's why I am doubting because on 3rd April it will already complete 13 weeks.
    I am feeling like hospital is giving appointment 5 weeks or at least 3 week late.

Just been through the system, both public and private.

One thing about the public system, medically they know their stuff, so if they say attend on this date, they know what they are talking about.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast