Looking for Western obgyn

Closed Thread

Looking for Western obgyn

Hello, I am 6 weeks pregnant and looking for a Western obgyn for antenatal care and delivery. My insurance covers private but I am not decided yet on public vs. private delivery. Please share the name of anyone you would recommend! My husband and I do not speak anything but English. Posting here as the geobaby forums look somewhat out of date.

I saw a doctor for an initial visit this week and was surprised that I did not have any tests done. No blood drawn, no pee sample, no weight measured. This is my first pregnancy, but from everything I had read online, I was expecting much more from the first pregnancy appointment.

I am specifically concerned about my progesterone levels. Is this something that is routinely monitored in HK, and are progesterone prescriptions hard to obtain?

Thank you!

Congratulations! At my first Dr's appt, approx 6 weeks. Our Dr said that home pregnancy kits were 99% accurate and didn't do any blood tests either. It was too early to do a scan, and recommended we get a good book and start reading on what to expect.

Have a read through this article on GeoBaby. Should answer some of your questions
    Pregnant in Hong Kong: Public vs. Private Hospitals - Hong Kong GeoBaby

As for Drs, I would recommend you make an appt with Sally Ferguson. She's not delivering anymore, but is doing prenatal care.

She's working at Dr Lauren Bramley's office.

Dr. Sally Ferguson - Lauren Bramley & Partners | Medical & Anti-Aging

My wife is due in six weeks and we go to central health on Dudell Street. It seems to be the go to place for expats as everytime we are there, most everyone there is seemingly not local. The doctors and rest of the staff all speak English and all are educated abroad. They are going to push having the baby at Matilda on you as well which I was fine with but you may have a different preference. Overall, they are expensive but pretty good I think.

Definitely deliver in a public hospital, I can’t stress this enough. I have seen things go horribly wrong in the posh private hospitals here due to under staffing for example. Food sucks, nurses can be rude but the medical care is top notch.

Grace Cheung at Central Health is lovely and very pro-active. Would not recommend the other obgyn there for several reasons, you can pm me. But again, make sure you deliver in public hospital. Expensive does NOT necessarily equate good here unfortunately.

Congrats on your pregnancy and good luck!