Like Tree20Likes

Blood donation refused.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Given the number of people who have died from CJD is only 255 (according to the article) over the decades since the crisis, this response is really quite crazy. That's less than the number that die from gun violence - what - monthly? in the USA - yet they do nothing about that.

All it highlights is that humans (including doctors) have very flawed methods of assessing risk.

angeluscomplex likes this.

This is probably more a reflection on the inertia of bureaucracy than anything else.

Same in Malaysia, but I was turned down for being over 55.

You're not allowed to donate blood if:
    • You lived in the United Kindom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Isle of Man or the Channel Islands) or the Republic of Ireland from 1980 to 1996 for a period of six months (cumulative) or more.
    • You have been living in Europe from 1980 to the present for a period of five years (accumulated) or more.

Do I now tear up my organ donor card?

angeluscomplex likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    Do I now tear up my organ donor card?
    They will still take your organs as they are more valuable then blood

Do not be too upset. I am also A-. It seems more blood banks overseas are cautious about people who lived in Western Europe from 1986 because of Mad Cow disease. I originally thought it was also due to the Chernobyl incident. However, you can still do a good turn by donating your organs. Visit: www.organdonation.gov.hk

The process is simple - just register online. You might be able to donate bone marrow too.

I was not rejected from donating my organs and I cannot remember any questions about countries where I have lived. You could check with the Organ Donation Organization.