Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By shri

Legal age to purchase birth control items

Closed Thread

Post Legal age to purchase birth control items

Been trying to find some contraceptive patches lately for my friend, so she doesn't get pregnant and all, so does anyone know what is the legal age to purchase contraceptive patches or pills in pharmacies.

There's another way to avoid pregnancy.

no its not that we're doing it, but it is really dangerous since she lives in rural areas of Hong Kong, so I just dont want her to be impregnated by some strangers on the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by YasMain:
    no its not that we're doing it, but it is really dangerous since she lives in rural areas of Hong Kong, so I just dont want her to be impregnated by some strangers on the streets.
    That sounds like possible violation (rape). Regardless, no age restriction on what you are asking.

yeah, and I just want her to feel safer about atleast not getting pregnant from it

Thats exactly why I would want to know what is the legal age to purchase birth control products in hong kong pharmacies.

Quote Originally Posted by Srashes:
    That sounds like possible violation (rape). Regardless, no age restriction on what you are asking.

Quote Originally Posted by YasMain:
    yeah, and I just want her to feel safer about atleast not getting pregnant from it
    Won’t stop her from getting STD’s though

@YasMain - you're getting into areas where there is going to be a lot of emotion from the folks who post on here regularly.

A couple of things:

How old is your friend? Can she approach the family clinics or the welfare department's family departments?

If she is below 16, there are far more complications to deal with than just getting contraceptives.

https://www.swd.gov.hk/en/index/site...c/page_family/
    iven
    Make a call to the departments concerned and find out from them if she needs parental consent to get a prescription (if she is of legal age, then they should be able to take care of her).

Also, you might want to clarify "impregnated by strangers on the streets" - this indicates some sort of abuse and given anithat she might not be 16 or might not have the mental capacity to give consent, we can just assume the worst. Again, this is a case for the welfare or social services organisations to deal with.

If she does not want to go down the govt route (can be problematic), a couple of venues for her to approach:

Tung Wah Group of Hospitals Community Services / Integrated Services for Family and Young People

or

The Samaritans:

The Samaritans has two helplines that can offer emotional support and information about other support services in Hong Kong:
    The Samaritan Befrienders Hong Kong (Chinese) Tel: 2389 2222
    The Samaritans (English) Tel: 2896 0000

I am afraid for a lot of reasons, it is best to seek professional help - since medical and legal reasons are at play here. Online forums are a good start if you don't know where to start and I've given you a bunch of resources.

Feel free to start a new thread if you want more resources.

Best wishes..