Like Tree2Likes

Where to find a decent but reasonably priced psychiatrist?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where to find a decent but reasonably priced psychiatrist?

I am needing to find a psychiatrist as I suffer from depression and an eating disorder. This has been pretty stable for the past decade, however I have my ups and downs and I do require consultations now and then to review things. I also need regular medication; so far I have been using medication left over from my UK prescription.

I tried one psychiatrist who charged me $3000 for the consultation plus $2400 for a month's supply of medication (which should cost pennies). Needless to say I cannot afford this.

Does anyone know how you go about finding a psychiatrist who doesn't charge an insane amount or mark up the price of medications to ridiculous levels, whilst also being a decent doctor? I'm hoping I'm not asking for the impossible here.

There is unfortunately a chronic shortage of psychiatrists in HK, and the ones in private practice take full advantage.

I have seen Dr Stephen Ng, 2868-0111, in Princes Building, and he knows his stuff. Go in for your first appointment fully prepared with notes if needed what you want to discuss. You are on the clock, and a long chat will get expensive.

After the initial consult he charges $1,000 a session, which can be over in minutes, and you will be asked to come back every two weeks for follow up consults.Very good business model, but typical of HK. You do not have to go back unless you run out of medication that's not available OTC.

Like most, if not all private practices, his mark up on the drugs is insane. However, when I found my drug was available OTC for around $300 for a month, cf $900 for two weeks, he was perfectly happy for me to buy OTC.

Hope this helps.

If you only want medication, and know what you need, you can bring the old medication (or just the name) and ask. Many technically require a prescription but most pharmacies don't seem to care. I used to do this with a particular prescription and just kept going back to the same pharmacy every month or two (depended upon how much they had to sell me, I would buy as much as they had, then go when I ran out).

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    If you only want medication, and know what you need, you can bring the old medication (or just the name) and ask. Many technically require a prescription but most pharmacies don't seem to care. I used to do this with a particular prescription and just kept going back to the same pharmacy every month or two (depended upon how much they had to sell me, I would buy as much as they had, then go when I ran out).
    Do you happen to know which pharmacies I would be best to try?

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    There is unfortunately a chronic shortage of psychiatrists in HK, and the ones in private practice take full advantage.

I have seen Dr Stephen Ng, 2868-0111, in Princes Building, and he knows his stuff. Go in for your first appointment fully prepared with notes if needed what you want to discuss. You are on the clock, and a long chat will get expensive.

After the initial consult he charges $1,000 a session, which can be over in minutes, and you will be asked to come back every two weeks for follow up consults.Very good business model, but typical of HK. You do not have to go back unless you run out of medication that's not available OTC.

Like most, if not all private practices, his mark up on the drugs is insane. However, when I found my drug was available OTC for around $300 for a month, cf $900 for two weeks, he was perfectly happy for me to buy OTC.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks for the info. I think unfortunately my medication is not available OTC.

When you say you are asked to come back every two weeks, do you have to go? Or can you avoid the consultation (and therefore the consultation fee) and just ask to collect a new prescription every month?

Quote Originally Posted by Rutho13:
    Do you happen to know which pharmacies I would be best to try?
    I used to go to one in Mong Kok- there are SO many in Mong Kok selling to mainlanders and I doubt they have prescriptions for anything. It was "Nam [something]" on one of the main streets. But I just went to one in Sheung Wan a couple of months ago and got antibiotics no problem (they are on the list for prescriptions). The first time I brought along a Cantonese speaking friend but probably not necessary. Seriously, if you go to Mong Kok there are SO many, you are going to find one who will sell it to you.

A number of expats swear by Fanda (Central, Tsim Sha Tsui) for selling you pretty much anything without a prescription and generally expat-friendly.

Bettsinhk likes this.

There's always Fanda in Central, but not the cheapest around.

I used to get Prozac (under the generic name of APO-Fluoxetine) there over the counter for my dog (as prescribed by the vet) at a fraction of the price compared to vet-supplied.

If they have it, am sure the others based outside Central in cheaper, more local, areas would have meds like this too.

Have bought a variety of drugs from the pharmacies from uppers to cancer meds, and not had an issue. Last month, needed Valium for the pup who had strained her back. Was surprised none of the usual places would sell it.

Yes, benzodiazepines, not so much...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast