Like Tree20Likes

Disposal of expired medicine?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lingc:
    Morning, just reviving this thread.. Anywhere to dispose of these?

Thanks in advance!
    Per the quotes and links above - just keep using them!

Original Post Deleted
    Not one I need luckily though at the moment strenuous activity is not allowed

@lingc - I've sent an email to both the EPD and the Drug Office over the weekend on consumer disposal of drugs, including antibiotics and other drugs which you may not need regardless of them being expired or not.

Lets see if they come back with a solution.

Thanks!!! I was going to go ask my doctor the next time.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    @lingc - I've sent an email to both the EPD and the Drug Office over the weekend on consumer disposal of drugs, including antibiotics and other drugs which you may not need regardless of them being expired or not.

Lets see if they come back with a solution.
    Don't hold your breath!

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Don't hold your breath!
    That's what the EPD told me when I asked about tips on how to counter the pollution in the air.
    Elegiaque, jgl and Sith like this.

First non-answer from the Drug Office.

"Shame on you for not taking your medication as prescribed by the doctor."

Thank you for your email dated 14.1.2019.
    In general, members of the public are advised to take medications prescribed for them exactly as directed by the prescribers, without adjusting the treatment regimen on their own without consulting the prescribers.

You may wish to check with the prescribing registered medical practitioner for arrangement on disposal of leftover medications e.g. returning the medications to the clinic or hospital.

For further information concerning disposal of medicines arising from households, you may wish to contact the Environmental Protection Department for enquiries (Email: [email protected]).
    Waiting on EPD to respond.

EPD Response

Unwanted or surplus drugs/medicines generated regularly from clinics, hospitals and institutes (including elderly homes) etc. are regulated as chemical waste. Their storage, transport and disposal need to follow the requirements of the Waste Disposal (Chemical Waste) (General) Regulation (CWR). These waste drugs/medicines will be collected by licensed collectors and disposed of at EPD's Chemical Waste Treatment Centre in Tsing Yi.

Unwanted drugs/medicines generated from individual households are exempted from controls under the CWR, as such waste is in small quantities and thus could be handled together with other household waste. Householders are generally advised to keep such unwanted drugs/medicines in their original package/containers as far as possible, or packed them into waste plastic bags or containers before disposal as household waste. Dumping or pouring unwanted drugs/medicines down to sinks or toilet bowls is not advisable.

Thank you!

Its 2021 now, does Hk has medical recycling at consumer level??