Like Tree15Likes

ADHD Meds - Private or Government? What are your experiences? Good or bad?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

ADHD Meds - Private or Government? What are your experiences? Good or bad?

Dear ALL

Finally made the difficult decision to try ADHD meds for my teenager who has been struggling for many years even after lots of behavioural therapy. He has the inattentive type and can't focus or manage his time/tasks at home or at school.

I would love to hear your experiences of ADHD treatments through the government health service and the process. Do you recommend the private or public route? If public, what is the length of time between seeing a doctor/psychiatrist and getting the medication approximately? Do you feel the public service served you well?

Grateful for any advice from experienced mums/dads out there.

Last edited by Lara Mae; 27-09-2018 at 02:31 PM.

To go thru the public system will take a few months, referrals, assessment, finally being prescribed meds by a psychiatrist. To go private, there will be assessment by an educational psychologist before a private psychiatrist will prescribe meds. This is fast but costly. PM if needed. Have you considered brain training for your child?

Medical professionals who have kids with ADHD typically put their kids on government wait list, and then use private sector in the meantime. Also use private sector to top up support/services once they get seen in the public sector.

The private sector tends to have uneven standards, as a general rule, whether it's private lab blood tests, diagnosis or treatments. Public sector doesn't have the inherent commercial consideration/medical best practice conflict, so having both is helpful especially for kids' health issue or serious disease.

Thanks for your reply. At this stage, we are considering meds more as we've been through a lot of different ADHD training with some improvement but not sufficient for his needs. If I do go public, what are the first steps? Do I go to a government doctor first? He already has an educational psychologist assessment.

Also, can you give me ballpark of the monthly costs? Just need a rough range to be prepared.

Thanks so much.

Thanks for your reply, that gives me more confidence in using the public health service. I was possibly concerned that public services might not offer the best meds due to cost and that cheaper ones are offered instead, but I might be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Lara Mae:
    Thanks for your reply, that gives me more confidence in using the public health service. I was possibly concerned that public services might not offer the best meds due to cost and that cheaper ones are offered instead, but I might be wrong.
    I would suggest

Private Doctors are fast and like repeat customers
    Public Doctors are slow but like to find the best value long term solution

It is a balance and worth pursuing both options
    Lara Mae likes this.

It's the charge for private psychiatric consult ($1000) plus meds. Some physicians will let you fill the prescription at a pharmacy, but most will require you to buy it at their clinic. You would probably visit monthly or bi-monthly. PM me if you want some psychiatrist names. Your educational psychologist should provide a referral note. Otherwise, your son may need to be re-assessed. Psychiatrists usually prescribe meds only. The good ones will collaborate with a psychologist for psychotherapy. As I noted, brain training for ADHD has proven helpful for some.

Lara Mae likes this.

Typically not a few months, year or years.

Quote Originally Posted by mlew:
    To go thru the public system will take a few months, referrals, assessment, finally being prescribed meds by a psychiatrist. To go private, there will be assessment by an educational psychologist before a private psychiatrist will prescribe meds. This is fast but costly. PM if needed. Have you considered brain training for your child?
    Lara Mae and Mrs. Jones like this.

Try 1000mg twice daily of apple pectin , and Acetyl L cartinite which aim to increase BDNF level and stimulate the BDNF receptors respectively. Thus stabilising the mood.

Lara Mae likes this.

Thanks Tia Maria....have you used it yourself? How quickly can you notice the effects of the Acetyl? Any side effects?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast