Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Patient's Spleen Removed "by mistake"

removing the wrong organ must be a breach of the regulations, then again maybe not in Hong Kong haha

angeluscomplex likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert
    removing the wrong organ must be a breach of the regulations, then again maybe not in Hong Kong haha
    You're assuming that there is a regulation prohibiting the removal of wrong organs. I suspect there is none.

Will be dealt with in Civil court.
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

What a complete mess. It should never happen with a competent surgeon. I'm guessing the surgeon was not actually trained in this sort of surgery

Quote Originally Posted by chobochobo
    What a complete mess. It should never happen with a competent surgeon. I'm guessing the surgeon was not actually trained in this sort of surgery
    The surgeon says he removed the spleen on purpose because he saw it was life threatening. IF that turns out to be true then there should be lots of apologies.

mgi

No way that he did it on purpose...just an excuse and he left the renal tumour in. It's ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by mgi
    No way that he did it on purpose...just an excuse and he left the renal tumour in. It's ridiculous
    Doesn't concern me either way just saying what was published. Out of interest do you have medical knowledge?

Obvious question - don't they have CCTVs which monitor / record the operating room?

He told the Post it was incorrectly listed as a mistake because the private hospital refused to modify an operation record after he noticed an urgent problem and performed the unp
    During the operation, he said, he noticed bruising on the patient’s peritoneum, a sign of a possible problem in the spleen.
    Teoh said he did not proceed to remove the patient’s kidney tumour as intended, as the surgery had already taken four to five hours and the patient had lost about 1,000 cubic centimetres of blood.

He added that the kidney tumour was less urgent than the spleen condition, which could be handled later.
    https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...atients-spleen
    Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    The surgeon says he removed the spleen on purpose because he saw it was life threatening. IF that turns out to be true then there should be lots of apologies.
    Pardon me French, but that's a load of bollocks. He went in to remove a renal tumour, which he should have been removed and labelled as such. If the surgeon found additional pathology, he would label it as a possible second lesion and not as renal tumour. It was going to be a spleen by the pathologist who informed everyone. Meaning that he didn't mention additional or alternative life threatening pathology in either his operative notes nor to the patient and or family.

Damn, so many typos

OK, now having read the surgeons excuse, again, bollocks. It's obvious he damaged the spleen himself.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast