Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By mrgoodkat
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By mrgoodkat
  • 1 Post By shri

Private Hospitals and "Police Cases"

Closed Thread

Private Hospitals and "Police Cases"

This has come up recently - private hospitals refusing to treat someone who might have been in a situation that requires police investigation.

TL;DR

Eventually after being assured the police report was made in Brazil, not HK, a doctor agreed to see me. Apparently this common practice is because, acc to this article, “giving testimony in a court ... could also affect the daily work of a doctor”?!
    https://twitter.com/WeiDuCNA/status/1145944392462524416

https://twitter.com/WeiDuCNA/status/1145944511270379520
    MABinPengChau likes this.

Demonstrators would receive urgent treatment if required, private health chiefs insisted, but they added cases with legal implications ultimately fell within the remit of government hospitals.
    Wanna bet they won't transfer you to a public hospital if you are paying with cash or credit card
    Also, ever heard of lying? Most private insurance companies exclude injuries from rioting, so you obviously "fell down some stairs".

"fell down some stairs".
    Into a puddle of something peppery...

But, the whole "spend a day in court" or with lawyers or doing insurance paperwork argument seems logical in terms of general accidents.

Not exactly Hippocratic... but hey, we in HK don't take these vows and all too seriously when it comes to the whole cost of business thing.

I doubt that is actually the reason. Most celebrities regularly make use of private hospitals after accidents, drunken brawls in LKF or drunk driving charges. I can't imagine doctors refusing to spend "a whole day" in court, they'll charge your for it after all. I think it's more a case of most young protesters being too poor to pay for private care which can easily cost 100k per day.
    Does anyone really think that if you show up injured at the Sanatorium or Matilda asking for a private room they'll send you to a public hospital?

shri and hullexile like this.