Like Tree41Likes

Extreme Fatigue

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    SAD is normally associated with northern climates, where the lack of sun/daylight (lower vitamin D=lower serotonin) and idiotic daylight saving time makes for mid/late afternoon sunsets. The weather up north (at least in NA/NE) also doesn't help with some areas experiencing mainly cloudy days, compounding the effects of less daylight, making the days gloomy and dim even at lunch time. I was certainly affected by this back home but never to the point of fatigue, more general lethargy and mild depression.

Lots of daylight here, 11hrs compared to London's 8hrs 15mins, not to mention actual sunshine hours 47 avg for UK in Dec. and a whopping 209 for HK! I also positively love the weather in HK right now.

Fact that there are co-workers with similar symptoms also doesn't seem like a coincidence. Hope it's nothing serious!
    Thanks for the clarification. Someone mentioned pollution also? But there was little pollution yesterday (yeah I know, clear blue skies and bright sunshine, unusual for winter days here). So I don't see any spike in pollution that would cause this. Most like those viral or bacterial pathogen-causing illness. Would be interested to know where OP's husband and his mates went to. What food did they eat, that provide hint as to the cause.
    Cornmeal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    Is anyone else suffering from a strange feeling of extreme fatigue? Hard to get out of bed, moving like a snail, no energy to do anything.

Hubby came down with it on Saturday, couple of people here at work with it. No fever, no other symptoms.
    I was sort of feeling that way throughout Christmas and New Year. But then, as someone who has had a history of depression since teen years, I guess it just happens now and then.And there's my granny who just cannot tolerate people below 30 complaining of fatigue or anything like that. "In my days...." yap yap yap she goes yapping about how she still feels the same way she felt when was 28. Energetic and vibrant. I wish I could inherit some of her vibrant genes.

Don't trust just the AQI when it comes to pollution. The AQI is an average score.

Often, there could be specific particulate matter (eg. carbon monoxide, SO2) that is higher and that specific particulate matter could result in hives, fatigue etc.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rkenia852:
    Don't trust just the AQI when it comes to pollution. The AQI is an average score.

Often, there could be specific particulate matter (eg. carbon monoxide, SO2) that is higher and that specific particulate matter could result in hives, fatigue etc.
    I always have a laugh when I see pollution indexes vs what things look like outdoors.

The placebo affect is very strong indeed for the masses.
    rkenia852 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rkenia852:
    Neither of those are particulate matter, they are both gasses.

I don't think that CO is going to give you hives, and I personally don't consider SO2 to be a common problem except for around Lai Chi Kok.
    rkenia852 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Neither of those are particulate matter, they are both gasses.

You are correct. I should preview before I send!

My point remains:
    AQI is a calculated score based on gas concentration (CO, SO2 etc) , particulate matter (PM 2.5, PM 10) et al.

Particulate Matter is difficult to identify due to the thousands of polluting sources.
    Particulate Matter can cause hives, fatigue etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    couple of people here at work with it
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    Fact that there are co-workers with similar symptoms also doesn't seem like a coincidence
    You've diagnosed it yourself: having to going to work every day is the culprit. I have the same symptoms and also have to go into the office every day.
    Fiona in HKG, shri and tinlissie like this.

I’m more inclined to think it’s the excesses of the festive season (especially alcohol, food, lack of exercise) and the stop and starts enforced by the timing of the holiday periods of Christmas, New Year and then Chinese New Year coming up. Pollution or protests? More a placebo effect methinks.

Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 441211:
    You've diagnosed it yourself: having to going to work every day is the culprit. I have the same symptoms and also have to go into the office every day.
    In an enclosed area with less-than-ideal air circulation and some people coughing behind your back at least 8 hours a day or not washing their hands when they should have, that can spread germs easily. This is compounded by the fact that mainlanders and locals don't generally cover their mouths or turn away when they cough, but they just cough it out into the wide open regardless of people around you.

A cheery alternative theory:-

Fatigue is a symptom of a late-stage chlamydial or gonorrheal infection. It can also be caused by Hepatitis A, B, and C. ... Fevers always indicate that your body is trying to fight off an infection, but a lot of people may not know that the infection could be the result of a burgeoning STD.Apr 2, 2018

posted in a totally non judgmental way.

Coolboy and rkenia852 like this.