Like Tree12Likes

Maternity Insurance?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    It's close enough to zero as to be effectively the same thing, for most people on this board. I'm not convinced that childbirth should be free, either.

I don't think that you can pay by octopus anymore though. That's a pity. The hosptial bill with a payment via a travel card would have made a good momento.
    I was able to pay by Octopus in 2018. Don't know if things have changed much since then.
    jgl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin
    One thing that slightly annoys me is that people always comment on how cheap the public system is and how you can pay be Octopus!!! And yes it is cheap. But if you were in the UK or another Western European country you wouldn't even pay on Octopus, there would be ZERO charge.
    I'm one of those who said that we can pay by octopus because that's what I did, and it's just a fact. Back then, HKD100/day or so.
    Western European countries may be totally free, but the level of tax folks pay over there isn't really comparable.
    Nothing annoying here !

Quote Originally Posted by jrkob
    I'm one of those who said that we can pay by octopus because that's what I did, and it's just a fact. Back then, HKD100/day or so.
    Western European countries may be totally free, but the level of tax folks pay over there isn't really comparable.
    Nothing annoying here !
    We pay our hidden taxes of rent here. Its all swings and roundabouts.

This is a just-published article about childbirth in HK, with 1st hand experiences from women (rather than the mostly male views here!).

https://www.sassymamahk.com/pregnanc...spitals-birth/

Personally, I found the most important thing was having an experienced woman I trusted that could advocate for / advise me, which is why I used midwifery services which provided a dedicated midwife throughout pregnancy and after the birth. I think that private midwives are not allowed in the delivery room at public hospitals though, so this would be a major reason for a private hospital if it were me. I am unsure if insurance packages would cover midwives, but places like Annerley at OT&P might have some advice on this.

Good luck!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3