Like Tree14Likes

Just moved here, how do I get my monthly prescription?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

If your insurance doesn't cover prescriptions, then Dr. Fanda's office is for you! I get a blood test and such once a year at one of the places that just does physicals to make sure the drug I take isn't trashing my liver and I am good to go, avoiding the whole clinic scene...

bsh

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    https://www.drugoffice.gov.hk/eps/do..._database.html

to see if they are over the counter. If not visit a GP to get some proscribed and a referral letter to the public hospital system to get them cheaper in the long run
    But you will have to see the doctors on a regular basis. For me, every 4 months for a check-up and then I get 4 months medications.

Be prepared to give up half a day but then prescription will be really cheap. The cost of the consultation ($45) if the medication is available as public mediction.

The other way to get into the general outpatient clinic system is to go online and find the clinic you're nearest to, follow the instructions to book an appointment in the next 24 hours.

try

www.ha.org.hk/gopc

http://www.ha.org.hk/visitor/ha_visi...arent_ID=10042
    East_coast and AmyMi like this.

I went to Dr. Fanda's (lol) as most of you suggested - they really did give me my usual supply (different brand ofc) with no questions asked!

Problem is a month's supply is $800... which is 10x the cost back home
    _(:3」∠)_

But! I won't go into heavy withdrawal now on the first day of work, so thank you all very much!!

I'll soon try and get a doctor appointment to see how the process compares i.e. if the cost of a legit prescription at a dispensary is significantly less. If not, Fanda seems like the easiest choice for me.

Quote Originally Posted by AmyMi
    I went to Dr. Fanda's (lol) as most of you suggested - they really did give me my usual supply (different brand ofc) with no questions asked!

Problem is a month's supply is $800... which is 10x the cost back home
    _(:3」∠)_

But! I won't go into heavy withdrawal now on the first day of work, so thank you all very much!!

I'll soon try and get a doctor appointment to see how the process compares i.e. if the cost of a legit prescription at a dispensary is significantly less. If not, Fanda seems like the easiest choice for me.
    Thanks for reporting back- if it's not on patent (so only one supplier) see if there is a cheaper supplier- they really will order things for you, they are quite helpful- you just need to pay upfront to get an order. The stuff I take (1300 HKD a month) is still on patent, I think it maybe is expiring this year or maybe expired late last year...no alternate suppliers just yet.

Edit...Ha, you made me check as I was pretty sure the patent was expiring in 2019 and now I see a couple of generic vendors for about half the price of the brand. Maybe I'll check that out next time I see Dr. Fanda...

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau
    Thanks for reporting back- if it's not on patent (so only one supplier) see if there is a cheaper supplier- they really will order things for you, they are quite helpful- you just need to pay upfront to get an order. The stuff I take (1300 HKD a month) is still on patent, I think it maybe is expiring this year or maybe expired late last year...no alternate suppliers just yet.

Edit...Ha, you made me check as I was pretty sure the patent was expiring in 2019 and now I see a couple of generic vendors for about half the price of the brand. Maybe I'll check that out next time I see Dr. Fanda...
    There's a number of suppliers for my drug based in HK, I think the brand they gave me was the only one they had in stock. Or maybe they gave me to most expensive one lol. But next time I will ask. The generic version exists but looks like it isn't distributed any more due to side effects.

Oof, $1300 monthly bill isn't fun.

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy
    Can I throw in a question, how does HK insurance handle these kind of pre-existing conditions? If one hasn't declared that they are on this drug while signing up for the insurance, will one get caught if they immediately after receiving the insurance start to claim towards such a medication?

And if the medication is something a bit more pricey, will you even be able to get insured?
    Wish I could answer this, but I got my insurance through work, where they never even asked me any questions like that. I imagine if you're signing up for insurance personally then yes you would absolutely need to declare it, but it also depends on what coverage you're getting. My insurance covers hospital and doctor visits, not medicine, so there was never really a need for me to declare anything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2