Like Tree14Likes

Just moved here, how do I get my monthly prescription?

Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    18

    Exclamation Just moved here, how do I get my monthly prescription?

    Hi guys,

    Back home we had public healthcare, so to get my regular prescription all I would need to do is phone a GP and get it ordered in. With the type of medicine I have, I could only request a month's supply at a time, and now I'm running out.

    I've only just got health insurance here sorted out from my work - took me forever to get signed up for it, so now I've got just about a week to get a new supply. My questions are:


    1. Is it just a case of rocking up to one of the network clinics on the list I've been given and... asking them to prescribe me more?
    2. Would I need to register at a specific clinic or have an in-depth consultation first?
    3. Do I need some kind of card to prove that I'm insured, or is logging into the insurance portal enough?


    Also worried about the waiting times to see a doctor here, as I've never needed to see one before now. If it's longer than 7 days I'm fairly screwed! Ha!

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    11,839

    please name the medicine as some medicine can be purchased over the counter


  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    6

    Have a look which network clinics you can use. If Quality Healthcare is on it, usually you can just walk in and get a GP appointment. Or use their app to book a slot on the same day.
    in regards to insurance, you will need to bring the insurance card, my insurer provides a virtual one that you can access when logging into your account.


  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Island East
    Posts
    4,693

    google your meds name and see what other names it has in ASIA, then copy the name or take screenshots of it and go to FANDA pharmacy, there is one in Central and one in TST. use google maps

    AmyMi likes this.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    259

    Starting with the type of drug it is would help the fellowship to answer your question.
    Then, what’s the insurance co policy on medication purchased without a prescription.

    Eg. Controlled drugs such as opioids, SSRIs etc may not be available over the counter.
    Moreover, even if the drug is available, your insurance company might reject a claim for purchase without a prescription even if it is a life-saving drug.

    AmyMi and shri like this.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ??
    Posts
    18,123
    https://www.drugoffice.gov.hk/eps/do..._database.html

    to see if they are over the counter. If not visit a GP to get some proscribed and a referral letter to the public hospital system to get them cheaper in the long run
    AmyMi and bsh like this.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    2,587

    Prescription drugs are sold over the counter even if they technically require a prescription. They tend to be much cheaper at a pharmacy than if you buy them through your doctor's office. You will find the prices to be lower than in many Western countries- I used to buy from Canada to ship to the US and these are half the price of the Canadian drugs. The drugs are well-regulated and are the real deal. I can afford name brand here, no need to buy generics. Fanda, mentioned above, even orders a relatively uncommon drug for me. It is 1300 dollars US if I try to buy in the US, 250 US from Canada, and 130 US here in Hong Kong. Yay for me.

    So as a result, it can be cheaper to just buy the drug than wrestle with insurance. But if opiates or sleep medications or stimulants, may have to suck it up and go to the doctor.

    AmyMi, hongkong7 and CharSiuNow like this.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by PeLan:
    Have a look which network clinics you can use. If Quality Healthcare is on it, usually you can just walk in and get a GP appointment. Or use their app to book a slot on the same day.
    in regards to insurance, you will need to bring the insurance card, my insurer provides a virtual one that you can access when logging into your account.
    Oof, I looked up the nearest one and it has shocking reviews on Google Maps, I'll pass on it for now!

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    google your meds name and see what other names it has in ASIA, then copy the name or take screenshots of it and go to FANDA pharmacy, there is one in Central and one in TST. use google maps
    It didn't occur to me that it might be over-the-counter (or rather, under-the-counter). I'll try that option today, thanks! I've already looked up the common brand names here, I switch between brands all the time depending on availability so the supplier shouldn't matter.

    Quote Originally Posted by rkenia852:
    Starting with the type of drug it is would help the fellowship to answer your question.
    Then, what’s the insurance co policy on medication purchased without a prescription.

    Eg. Controlled drugs such as opioids, SSRIs etc may not be available over the counter.
    Moreover, even if the drug is available, your insurance company might reject a claim for purchase without a prescription even if it is a life-saving drug.
    Haha I left the medicine name out for reasons, I already know this one is prescription-only. I'm sure I can talk my way into getting an emergency supply until I get a doctor appointment, just wanted to know the procedure.
    Also my insurance covers GP consultations, but not prescription medicine.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,103

    Enter the drugs name to check if it's available. If it's prescription only then there is a chance Fanda will sell it to you without one. Just bring your old package and ask for more. Meds like Adderall aren't available in HK.

    https://www.drugoffice.gov.hk/eps/do..._database.html

    AmyMi likes this.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    412

    Can I throw in a question, how does HK insurance handle these kind of pre-existing conditions? If one hasn't declared that they are on this drug while signing up for the insurance, will one get caught if they immediately after receiving the insurance start to claim towards such a medication?

    And if the medication is something a bit more pricey, will you even be able to get insured?


Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast