Like Tree45Likes

Antibody test for Covid?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Antibody test for Covid?

A few articles online has suggested there are already tests for Covid antibodies available in China so I had a search and found this:

https://www.linkedmarts.com/en/produ...emcode=LM00387

It seems to be a test for antibodies which is being used as a diagnostic test for the disease - but I just want a test for the antibodies to see if my husband and I have had the disease, which I think is valid.

I saw an article on RTHK which disses the product, but I think because of it's use for disease detection, not for antibody detection

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...5-20200312.htm

Worth a try? Any views?

Hubby had a really nasty disease in late January which the doc said was flu - very high temperature, dry cough, felt like shit for 2 weeks and took about 3 to go away. If he got those symptoms today we would just assume he had it.... but in January it's more hit and miss. Hence we wanted to try and find out.

(And for the skeptics, Dr Fauci has been quoted as saying he's certain the disease would produce antibodies which conferred immunity and hes about the best respected person out there right now: https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...-immune-2020-3)

HK_Katherine likes this.

If you're serious about it - take a look at these clinics and see if they have / approve any such testing. Really not sure if these tests have been reviewed / approved and are commercial viable or suitable for individuals to DIY.

I did see a Fauci interview and answer about the immunity response - he is almost certain there might be some, but did qualify his remarks with the usual disclaimers.

Take care of yourself and the husband!

https://admedilink.hk/coronavirus-te...g-where-to-go/

The thing is that the antibody test is the only test you can use if you are not currently infectious but want to know if you had it already- it was used in Singapore in cluster tracing because some people had never been diagnosed but were clearly links between two clusters.

Pretty sure the one approved by the NHS (link above) will be legit and easy to do, along the lines of finger pricks for diabetics.

Not sure if Amazon will permit shipping to HK but people with ties to the UK can get friends or relatives to ship a couple...

The UK tests are made in the UK and so there are some quality controls, I wouldn't be so sure about tests from the mainland...

shri, HK_Katherine and AsianXpat0 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    The thing is that the antibody test is the only test you can use if you are not currently infectious but want to know if you had it already- it was used in Singapore in cluster tracing because some people had never been diagnosed but were clearly links between two clusters.

Pretty sure the one approved by the NHS (link above) will be legit and easy to do, along the lines of finger pricks for diabetics.

Not sure if Amazon will permit shipping to HK but people with ties to the UK can get friends or relatives to ship a couple...

The UK tests are made in the UK and so there are some quality controls, I wouldn't be so sure about tests from the mainland...
    Seems a horrendous waste if you have to buy a finger pricker for one test. I am sure a friendly diabetic would let you borrow one.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Seems a horrendous waste if you have to buy a finger pricker for one test. I am sure a friendly diabetic would let you borrow one.
    Umm, no thanks, not sharing body fluids with anyone these days...I am sure there are cheap, disposable finger prickers in the kit, much more sterile.
    TaD_LaLa likes this.

I was thinking getting the HK one would avoid the need for waiting (for the UK test to be produced, for my relatives to buy it and then for it to be shipped to HK - yikes - that alone could take months).

Reading around, apparently antibody tests are "easier" than the diagnostic tests that everyone is having trouble with. Although certainly that UK one sound cheaper (although possibly not if you add the shipping cost!).

I will use a home test if I can get a reliable one like the NHS one, above. My whole office was sick at the beginning of February, pretty mild, one person out a week, the rest of us a day or two. Am curious if that was coronavirus or just a cold. Too late now to do anything about it but still would like to know.

HK_Katherine and shri like this.

I will use a home test if I can get a reliable one like the NHS one, above. My whole office was sick at the beginning of February, pretty mild, one person out a week, the rest of us a day or two. Am curious if that was coronavirus or just a cold. Too late now to do anything about it but still would like to know.
    Yes, so would we. I had "a cold" at the same time hubby was half dead with his "flu". His doc did not test him for Covid (it was early, which is the biggest reason for thinking it really was flu). However, one person I was spending a lot of time with when I had my "cold" also got "a cold" and a person he met a few days later overseas got "something nasty and also lost his sense of smell and taste".

It would be nice to know we were safe (and that anyone we talk to is safe too). If this really is transmitting a lot in HK but not killing a lot of people, that would be useful to know too. One person I talked to said there are two strains of the virus and that she thinks the one in Italy is the "worse" one while the one in Asia is the "mild" one.

So much hypothesis. So little facts. Things like testing could make a big difference.
    shri, AsianXpat0 and TaD_LaLa like this.

Umm, no thanks, not sharing body fluids with anyone these days...I am sure there are cheap, disposable finger prickers in the kit, much more sterile.
    They come with disposable needles!
    shri, TheBrit and MABinPengChau like this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast