Like Tree76Likes

Gonna be a dad, but my girlfriend is not a permanent resident

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Gonna be a dad, but my girlfriend is not a permanent resident

Long story short, first time dad here and I am a permanent resident but my girlfriend isn't. She is pregnant for about a month now(checked with a clinic)she is from the Philippines. We do plan to get married here soon but I just found out even if we got married here, she still cannot get a permanent a HKID. That is an issue because if she is, she can born the baby here with the government hospital at a much much lower cost. Right now I dont know where I can get my girlfriend to give birth in Hong kong because she is not a permanent resident, and the price of a private hospital is like 100K or more. That's too much for me to handle. what's my option here if anyone has experience, kind of lost right now on what to do

Does she have a HK ID Card? She doesn't have to be a permanent resident in order to use the discounted public hospital facilities.

BCD, shri, MABinPengChau and 1 others like this.

Pretty sure if you get married, she will get a dependent visa (if she doesn't have a HK ID now) and, voila, problem solved, use public hospitals. But, from what I understand, there are some not-insubstantial fees involved even with a public hospital so I think you do have some costs but not the much larger costs of a private hospital.

Congrats on the baby!

Coolboy likes this.

yes she does have an ID card but not a permanent resident. I have been looking around online and I cant seem to find anything that says something like that. do you have a source I can verified? I only found the price those public hospital will charge for a standard or c-section delivery. which is like 40 to 50k.

I also read that a local hk resident can get a baby delivered just by paying the hospital bed fee? which is like a hundred a night, is that true?

HK residents can give birth at a public hospital. Even domestic helpers who are not permanent residents are entitled to public care. Lots of info on Geobaby.

www.geobaby.com

chuckster007 likes this.

Can confirm. My wife gave birth here in a public hospital and we are both not permanent residents. Cost was a ridiculous few 100 hkd and we were very well taken care off

MABinPengChau and dossier like this.

Firstly congratulations.

If GF has HKID and is legally resident in HK she can you the public system and only pay the local resident rate.

For various legal reasons you may wish to marry your GF, upon which she should get a dependant visa. And then after 7 years of dependant she can apply for PR.

Also with a dependant visa she can work anywhere and not have to apply for a work visa.

yes, she can use the public hospitals even if she isn't a PR. I believe requirement is just to have an HKID card. My kids were born in the public system while i was still on a work visa and my wife was a dependant.

All she needs is a HKID and a current visa, they will check that at first ante-natal. It doesn’t matter if she has a DH visa or dependant. No charge for outpatient ante-natal. $100 or $120 a night when you have the baby. Bargain!

I think maybe the fee ones are for a combined private pre-natal doctor plus public hospital delivery which seems to be what a lot of locals do...but clearly there is an all-public option that looks like you will save big, sounds like the way to go...also some people may be opting to pay for semi-private room and other "upgrades" that are nice but certainly not necessary.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast