Like Tree41Likes

What masks to buy for a trip back to Europe?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    'My life.' The big majority of my time is spent with my wife. The majority of the time I am not within 10 metres of anyone. The pubs/restaurants I have been in (when I was out on a canal boat for 2 weeks) we sat 5 metres plus from anyone and the measures they are taking are more extreme than Hong Kong. When I was in HK I had to take crowded buses and MTR, shop in crowded shops, walk through crowded shopping centres.

I agree HK is way better now, but at what cost? (socially, politically, peoples travel freedom - this is a big discussion on it's own) Personally I am happy to be out after 6 months tied down there. But that's my choice.

Anyway - let's agree to disagree and revisit this discussion in a years time and see how many of my friends/family managed to remain Covid free.

(Here's an interesting point - I have never met/conversed with anyone who has had Covid. Maybe because of my lifestyle???)

P.S even if you object to my points this post had a much better tone to it.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

It looks like one of my earlier replies got blocked, perhaps due to an insertion of a weblink to an newspaper article.

I agree with you folks for sure the HK outbound flight will be safer than the return leg, but in this newspaper article it reported a study was done by an SK university on a flight from Milan to Seoul. In short, a lady was diagnosed with CV19 on her 14th (last) day in quarantine. Their conclusion through analysis was she was mostly likely caught the virus when she visited the plane's toilets. She wore the mask the whole time during the flight, but strangely not when she went to the toilet.

The newspaper said the toilet was shared by many passengers sitting nearby, including an asymptomatic patient. The problem with plane's toilet, at least to me anyway, is when you flush it there is a massive backdraft of air from the system which has all sorts of unpleasant stuff in it, virus included.

Unless you can hold your toilet break for 14hours, I suggest you keep the visit to a minimum.

And of course wear the mask when you go!

This summer, Lufthansa did not allow N95 masks with valves. You had to change to 3 ply surgical mask or put the surgical mask over the N95 mask.

Quote Originally Posted by artfuldodger128:
    The newspaper said the toilet was shared by many passengers sitting nearby, including an asymptomatic patient. The problem with plane's toilet, at least to me anyway, is when you flush it there is a massive backdraft of air from the system which has all sorts of unpleasant stuff in it, virus included.

Unless you can hold your toilet break for 14hours, I suggest you keep the visit to a minimum.
    Or just close the toilet lid before you flush?

Quote Originally Posted by bsh:
    This summer, Lufthansa did not allow N95 masks with valves. You had to change to 3 ply surgical mask or put the surgical mask over the N95 mask.
    Hospital authority in HK also does not allow masks with airflow valves.

Agree that helps, but the lid is not a tight fitting and the backdraft will still occur, albeit it'll hit you around the knee area.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Hospital authority in HK also does not allow masks with airflow valves.
    Neither, I found out this week, does the Convention and Exhibition Centre!

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Needs photos!

Must have made going to the cramped aircraft bathrooms even more fun than usual.
    Here's another one for you.

https://twitter.com/ananthkrishnan/s...38043961729024
    jgl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Makes me wonder if we are going to see PPE themes incorporated into fashion shows at some stage

Quote Originally Posted by artfuldodger128:
    I agree with you folks for sure the HK outbound flight will be safer than the return leg, but in this newspaper article it reported a study was done by an SK university on a flight from Milan to Seoul. In short, a lady was diagnosed with CV19 on her 14th (last) day in quarantine. Their conclusion through analysis was she was mostly likely caught the virus when she visited the plane's toilets. She wore the mask the whole time during the flight, but strangely not when she went to the toilet.

And of course wear the mask when you go!
    I don't think the draft is an issue here- there's a massive suckout of air into the toilet vent, no air comes out of it. So air gets sucked into the cubicle from outside, and a lot of the cubicle air is sucked into a vent.

If someone got sick from using the toilet, seems to me it would have been from touching contaminated surfaces rather than air.