Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By aw451
  • 1 Post By chuckster007
  • 1 Post By RobRoy

Dental Advice (best insurance/dental office)

Closed Thread

Dental Advice (best insurance/dental office)

Hello, I've been in HK for about a year (usually I fly back home and get a dental check but since Covid traveling has been out of the question.

Atm I want to look into getting an implant. I sent a message and got a quote for 30000 HKD from Jain and Smith firm. My intentions is to pay around half of that price (can push towards 20000 HKD) but 30000 is way too much.

Can anyone recommend a good dental insurance company or an office that may charge less for implants if any in HK?

I read recommendations saying go to Thailand or the Philippines but that just isn't possible.

Insurance won't pay after the fact.

I got a quote for 20K from a local dentist near South horizons a few weeks ago after an extraction (900ish).

Dental Implant, is that getting a fake tooth screwed into the jaw im not too sure on so called technical terms lol

I asked my regular dentist and he quoted me 18K to screw in 1 fake tooth because the nurse that works there is my mrs friend lol maybe he will charge you 20K lol why not ask for a quote

Dr Li Man Yiu - Andrew

address: Shop C, G/F, Siu Nian Building, 30-32 Qi Tsz Mui Road, North Point, Hong Kong---North Point MTR Station Exit B4---

contact number:
    +852 2904 0418
    shri likes this.

Dental cover in general is going to be crap because the insurance company is never going to make any money on it. The best policy I have seen gives about 6k worth of coverage. Most people I know just spread out their dental treatment and max out their policy every year e.g. getting wisdom teeth out over four years, old fillings replaced when there is coverage remaining etc.

shri likes this.

I had a great insurance in the past that covered 80% of dental costs without limit. This was a company expat insurance, I have not been able to find such an insurance as a private individual.

chuckster007 likes this.

Edit: just double checked, our company is 12K HKD per year for Dental and each invoice can only claim 80%

Forget the implant, may just go for the teeth cleaning and whitening lol

Last edited by chuckster007; 24-11-2020 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    Dental Implant, is that getting a fake tooth screwed into the jaw im not too sure on so called technical terms lol

I asked my regular dentist and he quoted me 18K to screw in 1 fake tooth because the nurse that works there is my mrs friend lol maybe he will charge you 20K lol why not ask for a quote
    I will give him a ring and see if what happens. Thanks a lot

I believe there are 2 "parts" to an implant. The implant fixture itself and then the crown that goes on top. You will need quotes for both "parts"

The other option for implants, which I will be taking as soon as Covid is finished / bubbles open, is to go to a lower cost of living place like the Phils or Thailand to get it done at maybe half the price by very skilled people.

Try some dentists in the New Territories. Some do implants and they are much cheaper. I got my first done from a dentist in Tuen Mun (but he's not taking new patients at the moment).