Like Tree8Likes
  • 6 Post By MABinPengChau
  • 2 Post By RMDNC

Health DNA tests

Closed Thread

Health DNA tests

I've been looking into getting a health DNA test done. In particular, I should get tested for the BRAC 1/2 genes.

Has anyone done this in Hong Kong? Have any women got tested for the BRAC genes here?

Looking for recommendations.

I've tried reaching out to a few places. So far, the best (only?) option seems a Premium Circle DNA test for around $3,000. But their sales tactics are quite annoying and I wonder about the quality of the report (will they specify certain genes? Or just speak vaguely like "You have a slightly higher risk of xx-cancer!").
    @HK_Katherine I see on another thread you recommended Govita but they don't test for BRAC and it's unclear for me what they do test for.

23 and me (one of those ancestry DNA kits) also does a number of health markers for about 200 USD. Includes BRCA... but apparently supposed to get confirmed if it's positive. I was thinking of doing it as my sister had breast cancer a few years ago.

I received an Ancestry DNA kit as a Christmas present and got contacted by a woman about my age who tested as a daughter of my uncle- born in Viet Nam during the war...so if you do these tests you can get some interesting info for sure...never can tell what your relatives have been up to...

Due to applicable regulations, 23andMe only offers an Ancestry + Traits Personal Genetic Service in international markets and health reports are not available. The service is in English only. It requires submitting a saliva sample using our saliva collection kit that you send to the lab for analysis.
    I don't think they offer what I'm looking for.

I submitted my test from the US...I can see where that's not really an option this year.

Might do it next time I am in the US, they have a few other tests I am interested in seeing... and I am cheap. Not going to invest in one through a doctor.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/25/u...iller-dna.html
    https://www.11alive.com/article/news...4-beae25a44a79

Not relevant to anyone specific here but please do sign up. Law enforcement and society appreciates it.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:

Not relevant to anyone specific here but please do sign up. Law enforcement and society appreciates it.
    Pretty sure there has been plenty of criminal activity in my family as well, just no DNA was collected...plenty of old collected samples have been destroyed, only the really infamous ones were kept...

I'm looking for a health test. I'm not interested in ancestry.

If there are any reasons to avoid health tests do share...

It's just that the cheap ones are both health and ancestry- still you always have the option not to release the DNA...but where's the fun in that?

OK, here's one that will test internationally and price includes shipping to HK and back to the lab (US, I guess). Includes BRCA and a bunch of others...

https://circledna.com/en-hk/