Experience with going to a psychiatrist?

Closed Thread

Experience with going to a psychiatrist?

I booked my first appointment with a psychiatrist after getting a referral letter from my GP. Actually my GP tried to push some antidepressants onto me without really assessing my situation properly and I felt that it would do more harm than good to just give me some random meds. I think he was trying to help me save some money but I opted for a referral instead.

If anyone has had any experience and could let me know what I should expect or what should be the norm? I don't want to go into this with the wrong expectations that my problems will be solved and I don't want to fork out a hefty price for each consultation if it's not going to really help me.

Thanks a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by bcmilk:
    I booked my first appointment with a psychiatrist after getting a referral letter from my GP. Actually my GP tried to push some antidepressants onto me without really assessing my situation properly and I felt that it would do more harm than good to just give me some random meds. I think he was trying to help me save some money but I opted for a referral instead.

If anyone has had any experience and could let me know what I should expect or what should be the norm? I don't want to go into this with the wrong expectations that my problems will be solved and I don't want to fork out a hefty price for each consultation if it's not going to really help me.

Thanks a bunch.
    It is impossible to give an answer really because every situation will be different. I only saw the psychiatrist once who referred me onto a therapist and a counsellor. But that was in the UK, free on the NHS so there was no incentive for multiple visits to the psychiatrist.