Like Tree16Likes

Full Health Check Up

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What ever you do, don't tell the doctor or the test provider thst someone else is picking up the full tab.

Thanks all.

company just willing to pay, no insurance claim.

will email the above companies for quotes and see best overall cover.

Original Post Deleted
    Thats not really true. There are plenty of insurance options that also cover wellness/checkup costs. For example, Bupa HK give a free health checkup per year to most of their members, you can choose to go to one of their designated centers, or anywhere you want and they will reimburse up to HK$4,000.
    shri likes this.

I've been to
    Quality Healthcare (Medical Center)
    Raffles (Medical Center)
    Matilda (Medical Center and Hospital)
    St Pauls (Hospital)

My conclusion is that hospital healh checkups are much more comprehensive and service is better too:

- Quality healthcare doesn't fit your criteria it is more mass market so I won't comment.
    - Raffles is a chain and provides great waiting rooms and service, but if you go through the checkup list item by item you will find that they offer less than hospitals at similar or higher prices, so you are really paying for the brand/location/environment. Nothing wrong with that if that's your preference of course.
    - Matilda I got my check at the center in Central (not the hospital on the Peak) and the experience was not great at all. The bells and whistles were complete but without going into detail, I felt the staff and doctors were here to just go through the motions as soon as they could. Without going into detail, I had a complication and they tried to dismiss it, until I suggested adding an exercise EEG which they were able to charge extra for. Then the results were inconsistent with my previous checks and they ignored my request to compare them. ( I think a possible reason was that this was a company plan so it was paid for upfront)
    - St Paul's Hospital is in Causeway and I paid first and then claimed it under my corporate Bupa plan that covers up to $4,000. The test are quite comprehensive and you can add specific items on top of the plan you choose if you feel the need (at a cost). I feel hospital has more complete equipment (you won't find xray in most clinics) and staff dedicated to certain tasks. The hard part is booking, when I called the closest available slot was 3 months away. Further if you're looking for a weekend.

In terms of transparency, all costs and items for the centers/hospitals are listed on the websites and I've experienced no hidden costs at any of these. You will only need to pay more to add specific test on top, which you can ask for beforehand.

shri likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Bupa never passed my records to my employer even though they were paying.

Helps if you know what you want - it's a business and they are happy to take your money. Don't automatically go for the most expensive package.

A lot of people seem to take these tests because employer pays or insurance requires it - they are great customers.

hike likes this.

Used the London Clinic last year and went with their most comprehensive package: that included taking six vials of blood (and thus a comprehensive set of tests, including cancer markets), ultrasound, X-Ray, treadmill test, and the vitals which a doctor would look at as part of his/her consult. At just over $12K, it was pricey. Less waiting around though and definitely more intimate than a hospital. Atmosphere less miserable than being stuck in a hospital. London isn't busy though, unlike Raffles / Quality Healthcare. Ultrasound was offsite (nearby building), which was one downside.

This year pre-booked a package at St. Teresa in Mong Kok. Excellent value ($6,800 male package) and also very comprehensive - but waitlist is about 2 months. You need to wander around various departments of the hospital, but all under one roof at least, in fact all on same floor and within small radius of the 'health check centre'. Feedback from a friend was that doctor's English was mediocre though.

Comparing the two, LC was a more pleasant experience... but worth double the price? Probably not.

Original Post Deleted
    They're going to find out anyway since if the test finds something, I'm pretty sure you'd want to get it sorted

Original Post Deleted
    Not in my case.
    hike likes this.