Like Tree52Likes

Private Room - Govt Hospital for Child Birth

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Private Room - Govt Hospital for Child Birth

Hi,
    If someone can shed light on the process of registering for delivery at a public hospital that would be so very helpful. I'd prefer a private ward within a public hospital if that's a possible choice.
    My boyfriend is a HKID holder but I am not, I currently overseas and intend on going to HK around 3 months before delivery on a visitors visa (we'd like to have the baby in HK).
    A few questions:
    - What is the general registration process like for public hospital? A private ward within a public Hospital? Is it available to non HKID holders?
    - If I'm arriving in HK only 3 months before delivery, would it even be possible to register for a delivery bed?

Many thanks in advance to anyone that can share their experience/knowledge.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by hkschelle:
    Hi,
    If someone can shed light on the process of registering for delivery at a public hospital that would be so very helpful. I'd prefer a private ward within a public hospital if that's a possible choice.
    My boyfriend is a HKID holder but I am not, I currently overseas and intend on going to HK around 3 months before delivery on a visitors visa (we'd like to have the baby in HK).
    - What is the general registration process like for public hospital? A private ward within a public Hospital? Is it available to non HKID holders?
    - If I'm arriving in HK only 3 months before delivery, would it even be possible to register for a delivery bed?
    You want to use the system AND a private ward?

If a boyfriend , not husband, you have no claim to anything in Hong Kong.

Have you noticed Hong Kong is a locked down city with quarantine up to three weeks? Not exactly welcoming foreigners, especially with no HKID.

Even if you could, I'd hate to think of how a premature birth from quarantine would be treated by the Department of health.
    rs4 and ThatOneGuy like this.

Hi Elegiaque,
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    Yes, i'd like to use the public hospital system (and a private ward if possible but obviously not a must since it's not up to me anyway) because of the superior medical expertise they have. I've read on the Health Authority site that it'll cost 39,000 HKD for non-HKID holders.
    As for the boyfriend part, I understand that I will have to pay fully out of pocket for all medical care in Hong Kong and am willing to do that, we're wanting to have the baby there because of proximity to family.

Also fully aware of the quarantine situation and am willing to deal with that as well, thanks for pointing it out.
    If I arrive in hong kong with more than 3 months to spare I'd imagine the chances of a premature birth to be very low, but of course you're correct in that there's always a risk.

Are there any helpful experiences regarding the hospital registration parts that you'd kindly be willing to share?
    Thanks

There is no such thing as a private ward! I wonder if you can post what you're reading?! I think you're confusing the price for private with public. (But are low?)

Anyway, I'll let others who are experienced explain...

angeluscomplex likes this.

There is one private room and two semi private rooms. They are only available on a first come first serve basis. This is in Queen Mary.

Also the cost is basically the same as going to a private hospital.

shri and Drunken Master like this.

Your only option is to get married. Then move here as dependent. Then it will cost you next to nothing and you can enjoy our great democracy!

The lock down should stay until Chinese New Year at least so you will not be let in HK unless you have a proper visa.

rs4, Skyhook and markranson like this.

Very difficult to get a private room in Queen Mary. They are generally left open for civil servants who are in a priority queue.

In general the private hospitals are capable of dealing with regular maternity issues. If you are high risk, you will be sent to govt.

In general, chronologically your issues will be :

- Getting into HK and quarantining
    - Getting into the system without a HK ID / residency for prenatal checkups to be able to even get close to Queen Mary
    - Being able to book a private room at a govt hospital if you are not in the priority queue.

Might be easier to an around getting good care in your home country where your family might be able to help.. Unless your boyfriend has family and a support network for you to walk into.

I don't think there are any advantages in terms of immigration status to have a kid in HK as an unmarried partner of a resident. I could be wrong about this..

markranson and hongkong7 like this.

Even if not married if the father is a Honkie then I think the child will be a Honkie and can get passport etc.

Being pregnant, the last thing you'd want to do is quarantine. The government probably hasn't thought this through. What if you need to see a doctor or there's a medical emergency?

Drunken Master and Baklava like this.

If you're not a HK ID holder, you're going to be up for a cost of between $30,000hkd and upto $120,000hkd to give birth in a Hong Kong, hospital.

To be honest we had the choice of giving birth in a private hospital, but when I was told that should a life threatening situation occur during child birth, that the private hospitals default protocol was to pop you in an ambulance to the closest public hospital to better deal with it. Upon thinking about this more and more prior to the delivery of our first child in Hong Kong, my wife and I both agreed that going public would allow the hospital to deal with any complications that 'might' have eventuated, immediately as it happens, further reducing any risk.

Also, my wife actually preferred being in a ward with other new mothers who had just experienced child birth and gave her the chance to talk to them, for the 4 short days she was in there. If I remember, the first birth cost us $800hkd and the second was $1400HKD as a humidy crib was required.

One thing I will highly recommend is, if hubby can bring you bottles of water, fruit, snacks and meals from outside, as the food in HK public hospitals is pretty dire.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast