Like Tree22Likes

Diabetes Treatment in HK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

But if you don't yet HAVE a doctor? Who is the one who can get you into the public system the quickest? Seems if it's type I should be some way to get in quicker?

shiva.rajan likes this.

See if you can get into the Gov't system. Download the HAgo app and book a GP appt at your nearest clinic.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...go&hl=en&gl=US

You can now login with IamSmart. You need to login first thing in the morning around 8am and see which clinic has open slots. Appts are for the next 24hrs only.

First visit Dr will do do a general assessment and then schedule a blood test for 2nd visit. And then a follow up to go over results. Haven't reached the follow up stage so not sure if they will prescribe meds. Will keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Your doctor needs to refer you into the govt system ASAP - there are multi-year wait times depending on the severity of your condition.

Like the second post said - TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR.
    ===============================================

With the O.Ps name like that, I have a suspicion than (s)he is arriving from the Indian Sub-continent and NOT a "Permanent Resident" - which MAY put a different face on it.

i.e. The HK Gov't won't let the new arrival "snuff it", but, I suspect it won't be as proactive if the person has NO HK ID card to offer when arriving in an ambulance etc!

And not be so "lucky" to receive free (or near-free) "keep you alive" .... unless one collapses in the street!

My advice - such as it may be worth - is to bring enough Insulin to last you for "a long time" - ie. at least within the expiry date of the medicaments **AND** "invest" in Medical insurance which will cover drugs & hospitalisation... So that the traveler isn't left denuded of medical cover whilst waiting in quarantine and then getting to a doctor for a referral letter to hospital **&** whilst waiting for the essential HK Identity Card.

Still wanting to come to HK?

Well, as a [sort of] medical backup : get your local doctor to provide you with a report on your condition - make it as full as possible with details so that the local HK doctor has "background" to provide a letter to your local HK hospital - which may speed up the entry into the HK hospital system.

My own Mother flew from UK to HK some 45 or so years ago to be at my engagement dinner, and carried more than enough Insulin from UK to not have to buy any here.

A sensible move since I had no idea how to acquire more locally for her !

Me? I always (used to) travel with a mass of pills & concoctions in case I was struck down. (I'm Type 2) in my hand-carry bag.

Since then, I have occasionally totally forgotten to take my "morning" or "evening" prescriptions - only finding out 12+ hours later - much to my chagrin - but I'm still "around" at 81.75 y.o.

I'd "hate" to be a type 1; my Mother all too frequently needed to be "straightened up" with a sugary drink so that she was "compos mentis" and able to walk around again without keeling over!

When I was hitch-hiking (in the '60s) from UK to Australia, NZ, and the Americas, I had a sort of "Security bangle" which had my UK address & Blood type inscribed on it.

Luckily, it was never needed to identify a corpse! {Diabetes struck me much later in life}.

So, immigrant - shiva.rajan - are you having "second thoughts" of your scheduled arrival in August??

Nothing ventured, Nothing gained !!

If they have an ID card and a valid visa there is absolutely no reason the poster should not have access to family clinics or the hospital authority.

Last edited by shri; 08-07-2022 at 10:33 AM.
    hullexile and rkenia852 like this.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    If you have an ID card and a valid visa there is absolutely no reason the poster should hot have access to family clinics or the hospital authority.
    BUT: that assumes that the person already has a valid HK ID Card, and (back channel) response seems to indicate that (s)he does NOT yet have one.

I am perfectly open to correction, but why would this enquiry be thus triggered IF (s)he had a HK ID already?

Q.E.D.

Pretty sure this is like any other thread where people ask for a good dentist, eye surgeon, etc. A name can be helpful...

rkenia852 likes this.

Hah .. no clue about "back channels".

I guess the most important issue is - You need to be on a proper non-tourist visa - employment, domestic helper, student etc... which will qualify you for an ID card pretty much the day you get your arse to immigration and give you access to medical care.

Without an ID card ... shit out of luck and private treatment is the only option.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    But if you don't yet HAVE a doctor? Who is the one who can get you into the public system the quickest? Seems if it's type I should be some way to get in quicker?
    You can approach the family clinics, Hong Kong Jockey Club run clinics etc... need to be aggressive to get the appointment and all that. Or just find a GP through colleagues, friends, relatives or randos on GX ...

Again, the OP needs to be on a resident visa and needs to have an ID card to get tracked into the govt system. Bonus if they can sort their IAMSmart and eHealth apps out quickly to then DIY appointments etc.

If the OP is an asylum seeker or accredited refugee, the first thing to do is talk to your ISS case worker - they will know of any private clinics that provide pro bono services and/ or be able to talk to a government medical social worker on your behalf.

shri likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2