Like Tree47Likes

OTC sleep aid

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Not particularly helpful in the medical sense but...

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...droidApp_Other
    Reading an Adrian Chiles article would put anybody to sleep
    pin likes this.

Honestly I think different things work for different people. What has worked for me is the following:
    - Do some light stretching.
    - Get off devices (such as computer and phone) around 30 mins to an hour before going to bed.
    - Read a book for 30 mins to an hour before going to sleep.
    - Put on a sleep mask.

If I do find myself waking up in the middle of the night, i resist the urge go on my phone. Instead I read or listen to an audiobook.

I'm also trying to get to bed at a decent hour and am trying to have at least 7 hours sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankshaft:
    Whenever I go back to my home country (UTC +2) .
    Egypt! Thought you were Americano.

One technique I used to use when work was on my mind stopping me sleeping was to construct a stupid boring but pleasant scenario (nothing sexual!) and focus on that. One I remember was I did something to help the royal family and in return they made me a Duke. The major advantage was priority treatment at airport check-in. (I was flying weekly at this point). Drove all the other stuff out of my brain allowing sleep.

Mrs. Jones likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankshaft:
    Empty your sack before hitting the sack. That's suppose to help.
    Folk tales

I've tried plenty: melatonin, diphenhydramine, doxylamine succinate, CBD oil. I've tried taking magnesium, but I'm not sure whether it helps. So far the only thing that consistently works is stilnox. I only took it occasionally, half or 1/3 tablet at a time, and around 1-3 times a month, and you shouldn't take it long term. I wish I knew that I could get it from Fanda. I got it prescribed from GP.

I am discovering that apparently sleeping pills which I thought were special medicine formulated just to induce sleep is actually a catch-all name for for anti-depressants, relaxants and antihistamine that cause drowsiness as a side effect.....

I remember that my jar of Nytol sleeping tablets had a warning, "may cause drowsiness". Shit, who would have thought that?

Quote Originally Posted by sarsi:
    I am discovering that apparently sleeping pills which I thought were special medicine formulated just to induce sleep is actually a catch-all name for for anti-depressants, relaxants and antihistamine that cause drowsiness as a side effect.....
    Correct for the "gen 1" and maybe some "gen2" OTC drugs.
    The latest drugs, mostly prescription, claim to be more targeted. That doesn't mean they are any safer.
    I think getting some morning sun is the best approach. That stimulates your body's natural melatonin production and sync ups your sleep cycle. Talking melatonin pills is like taking testosterone supplements: it will mess you up eventually. If your body stopped producing melatonin or testosterone, there is a reason. Don't just treat the symptoms.
    shri and Mrs. Jones like this.

Fanda sell 10 Zopiclone for 120hkd. I buy 20 stilnox (zolpidem) for 250hkd at a place in causeway bay. Bought cheaper generic version of latter, but seem less effective. Found 4 places in CB that sell benzod otc, which can help, but probably not a route to take if the Z drugs work for you