Like Tree114Likes

Tumour found on kidney - what next?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Quote Originally Posted by dave_van_damn:
    I was very impressed with the guy from Gleneagles and decided to go with him. Got my surgery tomorrow morning.

Thanks again everyone for all the advice and kind messages.
    Best of luck, hoping to hear how swimmingly well it went when you're ready.
    dave_van_damn likes this.

I was very impressed with the guy from Gleneagles and decided to go with him. Got my surgery tomorrow morning.

Best wishes and hope you have a very quick recovery!
    Last edited by shri; 22-06-2024 at 06:00 AM.

Good news, wishing you well.
    dave_van_damn and muzzdang like this.

Never hurts to "shop around" find someone you trust. Surgery on a Saturday? Wow, didn't know anything happened on the weekend...let us know how it went when you recover! At least you will be back in good shape by the time the baby arrives.

Best of luck and speediest recovery!

Saturday is one of the busiest days for private surgeons.

Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    He then went to the new hospital and was asked for yet ANOTHER scan
    As you are finding out, each hospital in the public system has completely different set procedures for the same illness/diagnosis.

And it appears that hospitals simply don't trust other hospitals, they demand that the exact same test(s) conducted in prior hospital, are repeated again, it is very bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    As you are finding out, each hospital in the public system has completely different set procedures for the same illness/diagnosis.

And it appears that hospitals simply don't trust other hospitals, they demand that the exact same test(s) conducted in prior hospital, are repeated again, it is very bizarre.
    I can't comment on differences between HK hospitals, but, based on quite a lot of recent experience with QMH due to some issues that Mrs Lam is having, I haven't seen any duplication of tests. The medics we have dealt with at QMH (and also at the out-patient clinic in Sai Ying Pun) are happy to review and accept tests/scans from private doctors/labs here and even from labs in India.

The only repeated tests have been those where looking for trends over time is necessary as part of the diagnostic process. Obviously we make sure that all the HK reports are uploaded to the eHealth system so that every HK facility (private and public) can see them.

There are many sorts of 'scans', each with their own variations eg with or without contrast. I think almost all iimaging is computerized and prior imaging can be uploaded and reviewed by HA hospitals. Often with rare diseases in particular, the referring surgeon doesn't know what the best scan actually is. Or even the second best scan.

newhkpr likes this.

One of the scans that Mrs Lam had done was referred out to Trinity Labs by the case doctor at QMH (hence getting a 40% discount on the price if referred by a non-HA doctor BTW) because there was a backlog of many weeks in the public system. When the Trinity Lab radiologist found the scan to be of less than optimal quality, Trinity called Mrs Lam back in for a second go, at no additional charge. So we we reasonably happy with that overall.

Last edited by PLamHK; 23-06-2024 at 01:55 PM.
    hullexile, newhkpr and muzzdang like this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5