Dentists, advice needed pls

Dentists, advice needed pls

Recently, I went to a dentist my friend referred me to, for check-up and cleaning. It was located in Fortress Hill area. Anyways, I was told my wisdom teeth are fully impacted and dental surgery would be required. Now, he quoted me a total of HKD$20,000.

I don't have a dental plan, so it would all come out of my pocket. I am wondering what are other cheaper alternatives but would still be a good choice. Maybe in a government hospital? (I was told by this dentist, there weren't any) Any recommendations would be truly appreciated.

I did search the forums and seen every thread, but couldn't find anything that could really help. My teeth are starting to be discomforting.

Thanks!

Impacted wisdom teeth are rarely 100% urgent so you might want to get a dental plan and then wait until you are covered. I had mine done in the UK in a dental hospital (many years ago) which was free. Perhaps worth trying to go back there if you have residency to try on next holiday (bear in mind you will be in no state to travel for several days afterwards if they are fully impacted).

Otherwise, shop around - other surgeries might be cheaper. Do you have a canto-speaking friend who can help with a local dentist who probably does no charge as much as an english speaking one?

Finally - if this really is too much for you to afford, you might want to look at other SE Asian countries to get it done - thailand or india perhaps, they seem to be the place for tourist-medical trips...others might be able to comment here, it's not something I have (or would!) try.

The government system here is relatively free. Might take 6 months+ to have it looked at, but that should not be a major issue if it is non critical surgery.

Start by asking a GP or a dentist for a referral letter into the govt system.

never mind.......

What nevermind?

Thanks for the replies. Good rep'd both of you.

The thing is two of the wisdom teeth are growing a bit out the gums. Its kind of discomforting and sensitive around the area as of late, like a baby teething. A bit of a nuisance, don't know would if it get worse or if i could wait 6 months.

I would of asked the dentist for advice, but he would just tell me to go ahead with the surgery. And I've asked him for a government system option, and he said there were none. I guess I'll go another dentist for a second opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicknoted:
    I would of asked the dentist for advice, but he would just tell me to go ahead with the surgery. And I've asked him for a government system option, and he said there were none. I guess I'll go another dentist for a second opinion.
    Go to a Dentist Kowloon side as they're usually a lot cheaper than Island Side.

http://www.toothclub.gov.hk/en/en_home_04_01_01.html#3

Small teaching unit which may accept you if it meets their teaching requirements.

"never mind" meaning i posted a reply which didn't answer your question properly, but since it's not possible to remove/delete my own post, i had to edit it to at least remove the original information