I cannot control my eating of junk food

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Wink

Your body might be getting dependent on junk food to "relieve stress".
    Dieting has a lot to do with the mind as well. Love to use extremely oversized bowls and plates to deceive myself, you'd feel much fuller finishing food from them.

also i advocate colourful diets! Your body should be more satisfied with the food and it has many good points for health as well esp on skin and aging. Never try too hard and say you'd refrain from all junk food or you'll simply crave more.

For snacks, healthy veggie sticks is a gd option but they dont do the trick for me.Have some big red long stem strawberries and dark choco in hand, it works miracles.

right right, dark choco is beneficial to the body at the same you get your daily dose if choco, get those 70% ones

I've been in this situation in the past and am in it again right now - I find Hong Kong to be a really difficult place to manage weight!

Some tips that have worked for me (some of which have already been indicated):

1. Keep a list of EVERYTHING that you eat and also the calories in each item. If you put it in a spreadsheet, then you can easily add it up at the end of the day. You will be AMAZED at the willpower you get when you realise that if you eat "this" item, you will have to add it to the list and see the effect .... knowledge is power! By noting everything down you make a concious decision every time you eat, which tends to cut down on "boredom nibbles" that you eat without really thinking about it.....

2. To combat boredom nibbling again, like others have suggested, keep fruit and chewing gum (sugar free gum) in the office and snack on that instead.

3. Choose healthier meal choices and stuff that keeps you fuller, longer. Soup is apparently one of the best ways of staying full longer and at least is readily available here. Most of the other foods that are good (lean meat, vegetables etc) I find much harder to find for lunches in town.

4. Watch portion sizes. Usually they are too large - if you ask for a small portion, or stop the serving person when they try and add another spoonfull of rice etc, then you won't eat it. You can't eat what you don't purchase in the first place! (if you do this properly you should weigh portion sizes - obviously this is much easier at home, but about 80g of rice is right for someone trying to lose a little weight slowly and if you cook that at home then look at how big a pile it is, this will help when out).

5. IGNORE all the rediculous diet advice you get in womens magazines and most internet sites that are just trying to sell fad books. You lose weight by SLOWLY eating a little less calories than you burn and keeping it up for months and years. A "diet" is something that typically results in weight gain due to lower metabolism - a "healthly diet" is something you live on....

6. Exercise more. Do a mix of stuff - cardio workouts "things that make you puff" - good for fast burning of calories; resistance training "pushing/pulling/weights etc" builds up muscle and muscle burns more calories than fat and so increases the calorie burning while you are sitting still. Walk stairs when you would normally take escalator; walk a block or two when you would normally catch a bus; catch a bus instead of a taxi so you get the walk to/from bus stop etc etc.

7. Take a photo of yourself with nothing on. Keep doing this once per couple of weeks - and watch the difference. Measure waist and hip size; measure weight. Keep charts. These are all motivators and keep you going when you want to snack.....

Hope these help. They worked for me in the past and I'm getting back on the track again now. YOu have to find "coping strategies" for the things that trip you up.

For me, these are:
    1. not enough time here to get to the gym
    2. not enough access to healthy fast food
    3. abundance everywhere of cheap, tasty fattening food.....!

So, you have to find you own ways of finding time for exercise, finding healthy foods and going out of your way to avoid the bad stuff.

Hope this helps.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

You are making lots of choices, including leaving your desk, going out of your office, buying the [email protected], shoving it in your mouth, chewing it and swallowing it. This is not mindless eating, no one is forcing down your throat.

So remember: No one accidently eats anything and stay away from the purveyors of junk food!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    7. Take a photo of yourself with nothing on.
    And take care if your computer needs to go in for repair

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax
    You are making lots of choices, including leaving your desk, going out of your office, buying the [email protected], shoving it in your mouth, chewing it and swallowing it. This is not mindless eating, no one is forcing down your throat.

So remember: No one accidently eats anything and stay away from the purveyors of junk food!
    If you don't want to look like Ronald McDonald (or even worse, Grimace), stay away from the Golden Arches

This website is completely free but provides loads of great tools to help you watch what you eat.
    It's worked great for me

http://www.sparkpeople.com

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

You know when you have a problem with junk food when...

(From The Smoking Gun)

FEBRUARY 9--"You cannot dial 911 'cause you're unhappy with your burger." That's what a police operator told a Florida man early Saturday morning when he called 911 to complain about his order at a Burger King in Boynton Beach. As can be heard on the below police recording, Jean Fortune, 66, called 911 when a Burger King employee told him that they did not have lemonade. Fortune told cops that he had placed an order for a #7 combo meal (chicken fries, French fries, and a soda for $4.49) while in the drive-thru line. But when he got to the window, Fortune was told the fast food outlet did not have lemonade. He was offered Coke, but Fortune decided instead to call police. "Sir, come on. I know you don't seriously think that the police need to make Burger King give you food faster. I cannot believe that," said an exasperated 911 operator. She also noted, "Customer service is not a reason to call 911. 911 is if you're dying. Do you understand that?" Fortune was charged with abuse of 911 communications, according the below Boynton Beach Police Department report.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    And take care if your computer needs to go in for repair
    Tell me about it. I had my "diet photos" on a flash drive, completely forgot about it and used the flash drive to copy a word doc onto a pc for my client (in MALAYSIA) ... her PC was set up to automatically show any photos on an inserted flash drive!!!! Luckily she stepped away from the machine while it was loading up so I was able to salvage the situation without her seeing (I think).

I just remembered this guy who ate his 18,000th Big Mac but was not really fat or obese

Man Eats His 18,000th Big Mac - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston

& this guy 23,000!!! BM

Man eats 23,000 Big Macs - New Zealand's source for oddstuff - strange, weird & bizarre news on Stuff.co.nz

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast