I cannot control my eating of junk food

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

YOU NEED HELP AND YOU NEED IT NOW
    ALL THE WELL MEANT ADVICE AND HUMOUR ON THIS THREAD WILL NOT HELP YOU UNLESS YOU CHANGE INTERNALLY
    AND THE QUICKEST WAY TO CHANGE IS TO GO TO A HYPNOTHERAPIST.
    THE ONLY WAY
    ------
    just watching this motion picture is enough for mere mortals to foreswear the burger and it accouterments forever

Alternate Approach

I can empathize with the original poster, I LOVE junk food, including McDonalds. Well, especially McDonalds. I travel a lot and in every new country I visit, I go out of my way to eat McDonalds.

I would suggest to the OP another approach:

1) eat whatever you want, but pay the price through exercise.
    2) do not consume calories in liquid form (no juice, milk, alcohol, coke). if you like soda, drink Coke Light or Coke Zero.

I eat a LOT, generally 2500-3000 calories per day, and I'm 5 ft 7 in and 150 lbs. I however, run 15-25 miles per week minimum, more if I've been a particularly bad pig that week. If you run 25 miles per week, that burns between 2500-3000 calories, which is an extra day's worth of food that you can eat.

Plus, there are great physiological and psychological benefits to exercise. If you're a Type-A executive, perhaps setting a goal of running a marathon this year will motivate you to start moving... then you dont have to care about what you eat.

Quote Originally Posted by silentbob:
    do not consume calories in liquid form (no juice, milk, alcohol, coke).
    Sorry, but whats wrong with having juice and milk?

Juice and milk are excess calories. Juice, especially, is horrific, mostly sucrose or fructose. If you want the health benefits, eat the whole fruit, which contains fiber and other nutrients not included in the juice. Plus the whole fruit fills you up and keeps you full, the juice does not. I believe water and multivitamin are just as good as juice. Note, this is NOT true for whole fruit, which I am absolutely not discouraging. Milk, I think is fine, but still, excess calories. Calories in 2 glasses of milk is more than Small Fries at McDonalds.

If the OP wants to lose weight, he needs to cut calories wherever he can, and if it's hard to cut junk food calories, the I'm suggesting he cut stuff he is least likely to miss.

Quote Originally Posted by silentbob:
    Juice and milk are excess calories. Juice, especially, is horrific, mostly sucrose or fructose. If you want the health benefits, eat the whole fruit, which contains fiber and other nutrients not included in the juice. Plus the whole fruit fills you up and keeps you full, the juice does not. I believe water and multivitamin are just as good as juice. Note, this is NOT true for whole fruit, which I am absolutely not discouraging. Milk, I think is fine, but still, excess calories. Calories in 2 glasses of milk is more than Small Fries at McDonalds.

If the OP wants to lose weight, he needs to cut calories wherever he can, and if it's hard to cut junk food calories, the I'm suggesting he cut stuff he is least likely to miss.
    Ah, got it now. That helped. Thanks

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

An orange has 20 calories, 10 of which are fructose, plus it’s high in fibre. A glass of orange juice has 120 calories (it takes six oranges to make that glass of orange juice) and there's no fibre. So eat the fruit; just don't drink the juice.

(Fibre from the fruit reduces the rate of sugar absorption from the gut into the bloodstream, thereby keeping insulin down.)

You need (human) milk if you have not yet been weaned.

Quote Originally Posted by Sineriita:
    Hello everyone,

I am a working executive, working long hours and addicted to fast food, usually eating while I'm in the office. I seem to eat whether I'm hungry or not and have got to a stage where I am unable to control my eating habit. Unfortunately, my weight is increasing and I'm being forced to buy clothes a size larger than normal. I can devote a little time to exercise, but is there a recommended safe way to lose weight? I've heard of all these diets, such as Atkins, that don't sound very healthy at all.
    in Japan, there're a number of snacks in very low cal, between 50 - 200 cal. That is, if you enjoy eating Japanese snacks. Perhaps try to drink water instead of eating junk food would be another option. Have you had enough sleep lately? According to some research, lack of sleep could contribute to overeating, just as you mentioned that you would eat whether you're hungry or not.

I find that eating small meals frequently, with some good lean protein keeps the bloood sugar level and eliminates sugar and fat cravings.
    Breakfast must contain some good protein - I cook lean bacon and yolkless eggs in the time it takes for the whole grain bread to toast. Or try a healthy, whole grain cereal with fresh bananas or strawberries. Whole rolled oats, rather than the quick ones, can be soaked in boiling water the night before and are ready in the morning for chopped fruit, a little milk, and a smidgen of brown sugar.

Stock up your snack drawer with delicious things that you will enjoy and look forward to. I keep longlife soymilks in my drawer at school - a great protein boost without too much fat, and if I have that mid-morning, especially with an apple, I am fine to go to lunch. Spend some time in the supermarket looking at labels and being creative about what you take so that is pleasurable. A handful of almonds is also a great snack, as is hommus (so easy to make) and wholemeal pitta. Watch out for protein bars and the like - they often have huge amounts of fat and sugar and should be avoided. Cans of baked beans, if that's your thing, are another great snack or quick lunch.

If you go out to get lunch, ditch the burger and fries for a sandwich or salad, but make sure there is some protein in there.

If you can set aside the time to plan, and make it a treat, it actually feels like you are being nice to yourself, and you feel spoiled rather than tortured.

Snake oil (or Acai berry) does not replace a good eating regime nor tackle the reasons why some people choose to eat junk food rather than sensible meals.

drink lots of water..

most of the time, when you think you're hungry.. your just thirsty.

Last edited by kenbo23; 03-06-2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Made a boo boo!

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4