Like Tree19Likes

Beware of "out of date" products

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Beware of "out of date" products

Just a quick warning for people to check the expiry date of medicines. I never need to check in Europe because people are more honest there, so I didn't check and bought a medicine which was 8 months out of date!

Luckily I threatened the seller to call the gov. agency responsible for giving licenses to pharmacies, and he refunded me.

Check expiration date for everything, often retail shop clerks will point out if the date is close, very nice of them.

This makes me laugh. Perhaps if expiry or use by dates were not so ludicrously shorter than the actual life of the product, people wouldn't do it?

I have food in my cupboard that is several years past the use by date. I still eat it and have suffered no ill-effects.

Medicines may be more relevant, but I suspect that a medicine kept in a warm room would have a completely different effective life to one kept in a fridge or in accordance with the manufacturers instructions so having a single date printed on the pack is well nigh meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    This makes me laugh. Perhaps if expiry or use by dates were not so ludicrously shorter than the actual life of the product, people wouldn't do it?
    Imagine having to wait 10-20 years before you can release a new tin of peas so that you can verify the shelf lifetime. Not very practical really is it?

I knew a mate who found a can of veg/beans or some sort 21 years old a few year ago within his parents place, who you dare to try this particular can?, never know waht new form of life lurching within the interior.

however, under extreme conditions, science have found canned food over 90 years still edible in antiartica a few years ago

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:

I have food in my cupboard that is several years past the use by date. I still eat it and have suffered no ill-effects.

Medicines may be more relevant, but I suspect that a medicine kept in a warm room would have a completely different effective life to one kept in a fridge or in accordance with the manufacturers instructions so having a single date printed on the pack is well nigh meaningless.

Not just for medicine food as well. Should check expire date and also where it is made because it can be fake.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    I knew a mate who found a can of veg/beans or some sort 21 years old a few year ago within his parents place, who you dare to try this particular can?, never know waht new form of life lurching within the interior.

however, under extreme conditions, science have found canned food over 90 years still edible in antiartica a few years ago
    I reckon the oldest can of mine I have eaten is circa 10 years. Completely fine. If not canned, dried stuff /packets about 5 years - mostly fine. Some ready-meals in packets were not so great after about 2 years - edible but lost flavour. My mum's home-made jam keeps for donkey's years - always with a nice layer of fur on top - but under that it's lovely. Ditto my home-bottled fruit which I ate after about 5 years, mainly to free-up room in the cupboard!

We kept chickens when I was a kid and I had to collect the eggs. One chicken kept wandering off and we thought she was laying somewhere other than the henhouse so I followed her and found her nest - complete with 56 eggs in it! Since she lays one a day, the oldest egg must have been at least 56 days old ... outside in mid summer (uk summer). Mum broke every egg individually and every one was fine, so we ate them. No worries.

I take slightly more care with medicine - throw that out after about a year out of date.

Memo to self

Don't go round to Moving's place for Dinner

Lootoo and Football16 like this.

8 months out of date for medicine? Hmm... having spoken to doctors about these expiry dates and having read about meds that get donated to Africa, presumably with no massive repercussions, I really wouldn't worry about this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Memo to self

Don't go round to Moving's place for Dinner
    My husband (who you've met, I believe, and is pretty fussy) takes great care not to watch when I cook. Provided he doesn't know, he's happy!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast