Protesting the criminal incompetence of the HK Government

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    PDLM is usually a precise, astute guy who is fact based but this one is off base.
    OK, so "criminally" is perhaps a little strong, but to me the unjustified (or not adequately justified and against the advice of the WHO etc) detention of these people is a breach of international law. Moreover, from the HK Bill of Rights
    (4) Anyone who is deprived of his liberty by arrest or detention shall be entitled to take proceedings before a court, in order that that court may decide without delay on the lawfulness of his detention and order his release if the detention is not lawful.
    If I were imprisoned in the hotel I would be going down this route. The HK Courts generally are capable of a much higher calibre of analysis and thought than the administration. There is no "protecting public health" defence since ALL the expert opinion is that the imprisonment of these people serves no purpose in that respect.

I wonder if PDLM would still protest against the HK Government for criminal incompetence of this quarantine if his love ones were infected and succumbed due to this virus.

There is an easy answer to those who claim the government is wrong to protect its people from those things considered dangerous by its advisers and those in world health organisations.

Pack your bags and leave for places you feel have the view where doing nothing is the right thing to do. Don't forget to post a forwarding address to send Get Well Soon cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    Pack your bags and leave for places you feel have the view where doing nothing is the right thing to do.
    Sounds like the U.K

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Sounds like the U.K
    When the bird flu scare kicked off I had to draw up a contingency plan just in case it turned into reality. Made sure that it stated I stayed here rather than returning to the UK - know where I would feel safer! Currently 18 confirmed and 716 suspected cases of swine flu there by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    Pack your bags and leave for places you feel have the view where doing nothing is the right thing to do.
    Unfortunately, this doesn't work as a strategy since most governments mess up on a quite regular basis. Hong Kong is a pretty good place overall because it has a superbly good administrative class and everything just runs very smoothly.

Until that is anyone feels the need to actually make some decisions and change things. That's when it all goes wrong. The people in power don't have the competence to do that - they are administrators, not leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Currently 18 confirmed and 716 suspected cases of swine flu there by the way.
    And, no doubt, several tens of thousands of other sorts of flu which are just as (un)dangerous.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

PDLM: Looks like you'll be on a lone vigil.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    And, no doubt, several tens of thousands of other sorts of flu which are just as (un)dangerous.
    And tens of thousands of yobs with knifes which are definitely more dangerous.

Why is it that a certain breed of person, when presented with any kind of criticism of HK or of life here, will always respond by telling you to leave?

"Oh, you don't like the air quality, why don't you just push off?"

"And so what if the common employee lacks rights that any other developed country's citizen would take as his due? Out!"

"What's that, sir, you wish to take a stand against the execrable quality of the territory's air-conditioning repair and maintenance sector? Well, I suggest you pack your bags, and good riddance. We'll only have uncritical types around here."

I think we should give this sort of person a title, both in order to vilify the practice and to make it easier to refer to. "Pushies", as in "push off"? What do you think? Boris, for example, is a complete pushy.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast