Protesting the criminal incompetence of the HK Government

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Protesting the criminal incompetence of the HK Government

(I put a shorter version of this at the end of the swine flu thread, but I think it deserves a new one)

Folks,

I've decided that someone has to start standing up and making a noise about how criminally incompetent the HK Government is in its response to one person testing positive for a mild form of the flu.

To this end I'm trying to get together a few people together to mount a protest outside the MetroPark Hotel with a view to getting the attention of the international media and making a laughing-stock of the HK so-called leadership.

I'm in the process of preparing briefing material which can be used to support interviews / soundbites with the media. I'm looking for people who would be able quickly to produce banners with the key messages in English and Chinese.

And I need bodies to wave the banners and make the case to the media. I'm not looking for lots - under the Public Order Ordinance we would need to keep the numbers under 30 at any one time to avoid needing advance permission. I'm happy to do all the negotiating with the police commander on the ground and so on, and I will try to use my contacts at the FCC to get the media interested, but I need enough people to stand behind a banner and fill a camera shot for CNN etc.

I understand that citizens / Permanent Residents make be happier to do this than people on Conditional Visas.

So who would be interested to help me make the case? Any time you can spare gratefully received. It would be good if the site can have at least some presence until this ludicrous imprisonment of 300 people is lifted, but whatever time you can spare would be appreciated. I think I need to be reasonably sure of having at least 10 people there for a few hours each day for it to have any impact.

Who's in?

And does anyone know where to get banners produced in a hurry?

Last edited by PDLM; 02-05-2009 at 03:13 PM.

the police had cordoned off the hotel where the young man stayed for fewer than seven hours on Thursday afternoon and evening.

More than 200 guests will be quarantined in the building for a week, just in case they were exposed to the virus.

Roughly 100 hotel staff members will also be quarantined for at least one night at the hotel, and then at government vacation camps that are being converted into quarantine centers.

“No one can enter or leave the hotel without the permission of a health officer,” said Dr. Lam Ping-yan, Hong Kong’s director of health.

Everyone who sat in the five rows closest to the Mexican traveler on a flight from Shanghai to Hong Kong at midday on Thursday is being contacted and will also be quarantined for a week, along with the aircraft’s flight crew.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/02/wo...tml?ref=health

Just wow.....

If they had ignored it and we had had an epidemic then that would have been criminally incompetent by knowingly putting the public at risk.

Overkill - maybe. But what do you expect after SARS and the effect it had on business et al. As if we don't have enough problems to cope with I think the HKG is justified in putting safety first and the action although seemingly draconian acceptable due to the proven virilant nature of what you call a " mild form of the flu ".

It doesn't surprise me that PDLM comes up with this garbage. Out of touch with reality as usual. I advise you to read all the bulletins from the WHO , who have guided HKG, before spouting off again from fantasy island.

Out of touch with reality would be to think the virus can be contained. If it hadn't come from Mexico, it would've come from somewhere else. In fact, maybe it did. They have no way of knowing whether this mexican man was the first infected person to land in HK. There is no possible containment of a virus which is contagious before it becomes detectable. Since there's no way they're going to screen every single person coming into HK, they might as well admit there's going to be an outbreak sooner or later and focus all of their efforts on treatment where necessary.

Boris,

We are going to have an epidemic anyway - there were 200 people on the plane, they all breathed the same air, and they have each met dozens of people since.

And there were probably plenty of other carriers who entered HK anyway.

Let's be clear, SARS did NOT kill any otherwise healthy people. What killed the otherwise healthy people was the treatment. That's not my opinion, it is the on the record (SCMP 9 May 2003) opinion of Professor Yuen, head of microbiology at HKU and one of the leading experts on SARS.

I have read all of the WHO's bulletins.

The imprisonment of 300 healthy people is directly contrary to the WHO Guidelines.

It wasn't me who called it a mild form of the flu, it was the Director of the US CDC. I suggest you go and read their guidance before you spout rubbish.

Boris - please go and start your own thread on whatever your wonderful fantasies are. This thread is for people who have the intellectual capacity to do their own analysis and form their own opinions.

The sheeple can join your thread.

Last edited by PDLM; 02-05-2009 at 04:22 PM.

PDLM

You've been bitching about HK about the pollution etc etc since you were fired from your last job and you were talking of going to New Zealand or Australia since it will be a better life for you out there.

Why are you still here then?

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Perhaps you can get the 100 odd persons who broke curfew by not returning to the Metropark once it was placed under quarantine, to join your little do.
    I am sure they would like their belongings back without being locked up for seven days.

There is some argument to this. Why are we not imprisoning everyone at the hospital? why not everyone at the airport? Everyone on the flight to Shanghai? All this crap seems more like a show. Why raise to alert level to emergency and then tell everyone to get on with their lives as if nothing is happening?

I hope we can refrain from mixing otherwise valuable discussions with personal attacks, no matter how much we feel we are in possession of truth. As some of you may recall, this self-indulgence, elevated to a pastime, contributed to the death of another hk forum, whose corpse we can see rotting just a few clicks away. In that case the death was justified, in the case of this forum it would not be.

Though it may take a Herculean effort, self-restraint is the main feature of what Confucius would call the superior person.

Given this is a Wan Chai hotel it did occur to me how many female 'visitors' were caught in the hotel at the time? I wonder if they have to stay the week?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast