english psychiatrist

Closed Thread

english psychiatrist

looking for an english speaking psychiatrist here in hk. looking for one that can help me deal with my jealousy and controlling issues. what kind of pricing are we talking about as well? thanks

Private Clinic

Quote Originally Posted by somechineseguy:
    looking for an english speaking psychiatrist here in hk. looking for one that can help me deal with my jealousy and controlling issues. what kind of pricing are we talking about as well? thanks
    Prices range for private clinics - $1000 to $1700 not inculding medication for not so exprience psych. $2000 - 28000 not including medication for exprienced and very exprienced psych. The prices are per hour.

If you want famous psych like head of psych in hospitials or university psych department head you need to contact them directly but most likely they will not see anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by somechineseguy:
    What about trying one of the following:

St John's Counselling Service (in HK; they've similar in the UK as well).

7D On Hing Building, 1 On Hing Terrace, Central, Hong Kong

Tel: 2525-7207 or 2525-7208; Fax: 2524-2777
    Email: [email protected] / [email protected]

[Their usual blurb:]
    "Counselling by professionally qualified multi-lingual and multi-cultural counsellors for individuals, families, couples, teens and children."

"We deal with a wide range of areas including substance abuse, stress, anxiety, grief, depression, relationship issues, anger, improving communication, and sexual concerns."

More info on their counselling service on: St John's Cathedral

ReSource - The Counselling Centre LTD

23/F Li Dong Building, 9 Li Yuen Street East, Central, Hong Kong

Tel: 2523-8979; Fax: 2845-7352
    URL: ReSource The Counselling Centre

[Blurb says:]
    - Counselling for individuals, couples, families & adolescents
    - Sliding fee scale; affordable options for all clients
    - English, Cantonese, Mandarin, Hindi ... ("multi-cultural & non-denominational")

Although I've not direct experience of these two organisations, over the years here, I know of people/kids who've used either one of them for short-term consultations. (No idea how much they forked out though.)

If cost is of concern - as it is for those on lower-incomes here - public-service psychiatrists or therapists, working in/near local hospitals, may also be booked if one gets a doctor's referral note. But, of course, priority is given to cases also related to serious health/physical issues. (And the waiting list/time is long, up to several months; heavily subsidised, after all.) I've heard that many psychiatrists in these public health clinics speak reasonably fluent English; and I've talked to a very approachable (albeit, a HIGHLY analytical) one, trained in the UK.

The first step is to recognise that there is a problem. Next - gathering the will power to DO something about it... If not on your own, then (better) with others' help and guidance.

And to keep on trying - over time.

(Hm, often easier said than done...)

Wish you all the best.
    Last edited by emmie; 24-06-2009 at 04:29 PM.

check this too - therapy associates

Therapy Associates (HK) Ltd.