Swine Flu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

In 1976, when swine flu last hit, the greater threat was from the "prevention", i.e. the vaccination which caused more deaths in the US than the flu did (300:1).

Whatever happens with this flu will happen. Pissing oneself isn't going to change that.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 22-07-2009 at 03:08 PM.

Go and wash your hands. And put on a biohazard suit. And don't go out.

I don't see the relevance of the statement 'prevention is better than cure' with regard the rest of your blarting either.

Aye Clare - and I understand more harm was done during SARS by the highly aggressive steroid cures....

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

You forgot about the particle accelerator which will create a black hole and destroy us all.

The reason some of us are not 'Chicken Littles' is that, during the lifetime of many of us here, the world has stood on the brink of disaster many times. Guess what? It's still here and so are billions of people.

I figure you are relatively young and in your short lifetime this is the worst thing you have ever confronted. You need to learn to temper your anxiety because long-term stress is a killer.

'A Whole Industry Is Waiting For A Pandemic'

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 22-07-2009 at 03:48 PM. Reason: add link

You need to learn to temper your anxiety because long-term stress is a killer.
    And this is something else Apple should take very seriously and worry about unduly. Maybe talk to some professors and take advice from newspapers and the govt.

Quote Originally Posted by Apple0824
    So for my understanding unless more people die and the use of highly aggressive steroid cures, will you then find it a dangerous virus. You are pretty naive to the end. Or maybe, you just can not see the danger ahead.
    You have a very couragious character.
    Well fruitcake - what exactly can you do to solve the problem of this particular strain of flu?

Nothing.

So yes - until people are dropping dead all over Kowloon and the fatality rate approaches say - 10 % of all infected cases and infection is >50% of the population - I won't give a flying chuff.
    Did you research the infection rate and fatality rate for the Spanish Flu epidemic by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by kenbo23
    Man Flu is worse than Swine Flu!
    Too true, this ailment should never be underestimated

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EElqrgk4N0"]YouTube - man flu[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Load Toad
    Well fruitcake - what exactly can you do to solve the problem of this particular strain of flu?

Nothing.

So yes - until people are dropping dead all over Kowloon and the fatality rate approaches say - 10 % of all infected cases and infection is >50% of the population - I won't give a flying chuff.
    Did you research the infection rate and fatality rate for the Spanish Flu epidemic by any chance?
    In case he can't - it has been estimated to be between 0.2% and 8% depending on the country with an average of somewhere around 2.5%

The infection rate of this pandemic looks like it will be much higher but the fatality rate much lower (assuming it does not change as Spanish Flu did - that also started as a mild version) partly I would guess due to improved medical care - assuming all the people who are admitted to intensive care now would have died in 1918 the current fatality rate would be about 4 times higher I think but as we don't know what the current fatality rate is that does not help much.

Spanish Flu did - that also started as a mild version
    I don't think you can claim that - it was mis-diagnosed on occasion and at least one investigation has considered the flu strain could have started in the huge farms built near the troops during WW1.

My point is - flu happens - medical care has greatly improved since 1918 - there is always a possibility of an aggressive strain - but wetting our pants and over reacting every flu season isn't going to help anything.

My point is - flu happens - medical care has greatly improved since 1918 - there is always a possibility of an aggressive strain - but wetting our pants and over reacting every flu season isn't going to help anything.

Agree, but the opposite approach of pretending it is nothing outside the ordinary is also wrong. Factors that make this different to seasonal flu - the age group of those affected, the fact that people with no known underlying medical conditions are also dying and the fact that it is happening in large numbers in countries like the UK and the USA outside of the normal flu season. My prediction before was a million deaths over 2 years, about double the normal seasonal flu figure. Significant but not alarming in any way.

I don't think you can claim that - it was mis-diagnosed on occasion and at least one investigation has considered the flu strain could have started in the huge farms built near the troops during WW1.
    Well the US Dept of Health said it probably mutated into a more severe version after the first wave so I'll accept their word on this.

. : The Great Pandemic : : The United States in 1918-1919 : .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2