Like Tree4Likes

HK air pollution

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

I believe when the aircraft were grounded in the USA after 9/11 there was a remarkable impovement in the quality of the air over that period. The number of aircraft also in the skys over HK would have a lot to do with the pollution leverls there mix that with the industry from China and you have very heavy pollution levels

For some reason a lot of visitors to HK ask me if they can go to see the light show...though I think it's crap for some reason tourists love it. Tourists spend money so - more power to the light show.
    Regarding light pollution in general I have a solution which would solve a lot of the problem but can I f' find a company interested in bringing it up to market - can I ****.

Quote Originally Posted by ginny53:
    I believe when the aircraft were grounded in the USA after 9/11 there was a remarkable impovement in the quality of the air over that period. The number of aircraft also in the skys over HK would have a lot to do with the pollution leverls there mix that with the industry from China and you have very heavy pollution levels
    Where is your source for those comments about aircraft flights post '9-11' and air quality cos it sounds BS?
    Apparently - recent reports indicate that a lot of HK's air pollution is due to the shipping in the ports that are v.close to the population centres. http://news.cleartheair.org.hk/2009/...l-study-finds/And yes Dirtland just over the border is pretty damn filthy.
    Last edited by Load Toad; 19-10-2009 at 08:45 PM.

Seems to me given that (1) airplanes pollute and (2) they were banned from the skies after 9/11, you would have to get some sort of air-quality improvement.

...yeah - as cargo an' people were redirected by sea, rail and truck air pollution must have fallen considerably. And at best for a few weeks.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Load Toad:
    Where is your source for those comments about aircraft flights post '9-11' and air quality cos it sounds BS?
    I don't know about the pollution levels but a Dr David Travis noticed that the lack of aircraft contrails in the US during the three days after 9/11 caused a siginificant rise in temperature. Plus the sky was brighter, a temporary reversal of global dimming.

Them is chemtrails ;-)

And the study seems to lacking any firm conclusion either way...

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/0...trails-02.html

A quick scan of his research doesn't for instance compare the three days after 9-11 to other days with less flights over similar meteorological conditions. Nor does it mention the weather generally at the time - if you recall 9-11 was a very bright, clear day in NYC.

The number of contrails over the globe, at any time must be a fractional figure of the total surface that could be covered by other types of clouds - or uncovered.

Last edited by Load Toad; 21-10-2009 at 03:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Load Toad:
    ...yeah - as cargo an' people were redirected by sea, rail and truck air pollution must have fallen considerably. And at best for a few weeks.
    What country are you talking about? No way people were diverted to sea/rail/truck links. People and rail? In the USA?
    Cargo, maybe, and on trains/boats/trucks that were mostly going to be on the road/sea/track anyway.

Oh - everyone stayed in their houses then and all traffic ceased. I must have missed that.

Quote Originally Posted by kryzlowski:
    Apparently (I've never been) in Tokyo they don't have A/C on their underground transit system, but instead they have some advanced ventilation system which actually does the job pretty much as good as A/C.
    No, I live in Tokyo and they definitely have air con in every train. They also have it on the majority of stations, though this may be augmented with other systems too.

Tokyo isn't as hot or humid as Hong Kong for the majority of the year.

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast