Like Tree4Likes

HK air pollution

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

HK air pollution

How are people finding the level of air pollution in Hong Kong nowadays? Particularly anyone who has moved to HK from elsewhere recently?

A few years ago, a lot was being made in the press about HK's worsening air quality. I've never had an issue with it, but it was featuring in the press a lot in 2007....

I know it bothers me a bit. I find it restarted some old allergies a bit. It didn't bother me the first year but this is towards the end of year 2 and I feel it more now. Nothing huge, but it still is there.

Haven't really noticed it to be honest, I'm just grateful I don't get Hayfever like I do in UK!

One word: Horrible

This is the only reason why I won't settle here permanently. I leave for a few months every year to try to clean my lungs.

pretty bad, def. affects my breathing and as a contact lens wearer, I am suffering...i guess it depends where you are coming from as well...

I visit HK from London from time to time, albeit not for more than a few weeks at a time so far. So far, I haven't really noticed much. Compare that to Beijing, where it is much more noticeable!

Having said that, is it fair to say that it takes some months of 'exposure' in HK to really start to notice the impact?....

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    I leave for a few months every year to try to clean my lungs.
    I do the same -- the fresh air in other parts of the world is so wonderful!

I cannot run outdoors anymore in HK; I had a terrible lung infection last year that only went away after a holiday abroad. Now I only run on treadmills at the gym. Apparently cases of asthma and bronchial infections have soared in recent years due to the crap air here. Studies by local public health experts have found that pollution levels are responsible for 90,000 hospital admissions and 2,800 premature deaths every year. (found at Air pollution in Hong Kong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Air Pollution Hong Kong - Help us Clear The Air

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    I've never had an issue with it...
    ha ha! That sounds like Secretary for Environment, Transport and Works Sarah Liao Sau-tung, who said that international standards were too stringent! (I realize that is not what you meant dossier)

I've had a huge increase in the number of airway-related complaints since moving here (colds, sore throats) ; I also find that when I hike I get out of breath for no reason (there was one particular hike that I really struggled with, went to Aus the next day and did an almost identical (in terms of hight and distance) hike practically at a run - I believe it's the pollution that makes the difference. I think this year is slightly better than last year, but it's marginal.

When I came back from Europe in the summer, my performances dropped by 10% for two weeks and it seems I could never catch my breath. Some of it is no doubt due to the humidity/heat but pollution plays a factor.

Any workout over an hour at 75-80% causes me some lung irritation and mild coughing for a couple of hours.

Comparing performance in HK to Europe or Australia leaves far too many other variables. You need to compare to running in somewhere like, say, rural Philippines with similar heat & humidity but, apparently, cleaner air.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast