Food Safety Alert - tainted sport drinks

Closed Thread

Exclamation Food Safety Alert - tainted sport drinks

Food Safety Alert issued on tainted sport drinks

The Centre for Food Safety has advised consumers not to drink two types of Lucozade Sport HydroActive Drinks due to possible mould contamination.

The affected products are Lucozade Sport HydroActive (Citrus Fruits Flavour Drink) (500mL) and Lucozade Sport HydroActive (Summer Fruits Flavour Drink) (500mL).

GlaxoSmithKline is recalling the products and has set up a hotline - 6015 6889 - to handle enquiries. The centre has alerted the trade and will work closely with the company to monitor the recall progress.

Although the detected mould is unlikely to pose a health risk, consumers should stop drinking the two products and should consult doctor if they feel sick after drinking the products
    090926en05002

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Well I would have thought that the fact that Lucozade is loaded with sugar would have steered people away long ago.
    Of course there will be the many who couldn't care less -so what is a little mould between friends

I believe the two types of Lucozade being recalled are actually sugar free KK!

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Sugar free!
    Well it cant get better then that can it?
    My objection was the excessive use of sugar-I think the artificial sweetener would be just as bad
    Have a look at this
    The Guardian | Sports drinks: vital for hydration or a waste of money?
    Has a formula to work out your sweat index and a receipe for a make your own energy drink WITH sugar

How is sugar a problem in a sports drink? If you're exercising hard enough that you need to replace electrolytes, some simple carbohydrates won't exactly do you harm. Quite the opposite, really.

The guardian article fails to mention the most important purpose of sports drinks: replacing electrolytes. If you're sweating a gallon per second like I do, and you're only drinking water, sooner or later you're going to develop an electrolyte imbalance, which can be life-threatening.